[Accessibility-ia2] next changes to IAccessible2

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 06:02:39 PDT 2011

Hi Peer,

The way in which I see this working is that the browser communicates with AT
both about the state of the video playback and the state of the cue text
reading. Let me call the captions "cues", because they could be text
descriptions or subtitles or any other piece of text that needs to be read
out within a certain playback interval of the video. The cue has all three
pieces of information: the text, the start time and the end time in relation
to the video's playback position.

The way in which I can see this working is the following:

1) when the browser has a new cue available for a text track, then the
browser fires a "cue changed" event at AT
2) AT picks up this cue, which causes the browser to set a "pauseOnExit"
flag to true on this cue; from here on, the AT and the video play
asynchronously
2.a) AT reads out cue and calls "next cue" when it is finished, which causes
the browser to set the "pauseOnExit" flag to false and unpauses the video if
it is paused
2.b) in parallel the browser plays video until the end of the cue; if the
"pauseOnExit" flag is true, it pauses, otherwise it continues playing
repeat from 1)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Silvia.