[Accessibility-ia2] media a11y

Pete Brunet pete at a11ysoft.com
Tue Jun 21 19:04:40 PDT 2011

On 6/21/2011 9:47 AM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Hi, All:
>
> Three brief comments ...
>
> 1.)	I'm inclined to suggest that we should move this discussion to the main
> a11y list, as we want both our APIs to support all the new content
> coming with HTML 5, ATK/AT-SPI as well as IAccessible2.
My concern is that there are several developers especially AT developers
who are on this list but note on the main list.
> 2.)	There's a "User Requirements" document that we created in our
> W3C work on the accessibility of HTML 5 media that people should know
> about. If I may be so bold, you may want to bookmark:
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements
>
> 		We intend this document as a introduction to the full
> 		range of user requirements for people of all kinds of
> 		disabilities. I think we're pretty close to covering
> 		that landscape, and we will try to add to this document
> 		as remaining issues are clarified. It is indended this
> 		document will become a non-normative W3C publication,
> 		probably as a "W3C Note" published by the Protocols and
> 		Formats Working Group (PF) of the W3C's Web Accessibility
> 		Initiative (WAI).
This is a very good document.

There is a sentence that seems at odds with something Sylvia said, i.e.
"The current solution are audio descriptions and they are much harder to
produce than text descriptions."  The document says, "The technology
needed to deliver and render basic video descriptions is in fact
relatively straightforward, being an extension of common
audio-processing solutions."

But, none the less, I can see some advantages to using VTD (video text
description):
- no need to find (and pay) a talented (pleasing to listen to) speaker
- no need to find a speaker whose voice is a good match for the audio
track (easily distinguishable from the other speakers)
- ability for screen reader user to adjust the playback speed, pitch,
and voice.

In the section on extended video it says, "Extended descriptions work by
pausing the video and program audio at key moments, playing a longer
description than would normally be permitted, and then resuming playback
when the description is finished playing."  There must have been some
thought about how this would be done, i.e. what mechanisms are proposed
for this?  The AT user could use a context menu using standard GUI
accessibility or failing that the AT could provide access via
IAccessibleAction (or ATK's equivalent) on whatever control will be
provided for this.  (This same issue is covered in Enhanced
Captions/Subtitles, especially requirements ECC-3 and ECC-5.)

That document points to this blog entry:

http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/08/mozillas-popcorn-project-adds-extra-flavor-to-web-video/
where it says, "...subtitles attached to the video can be sent to an
online translation tool and converted to whatever language you want on
the fly. JavaScript handles the syncing."  It would be helpful to
understand the syncing mechanism.

> 3.)	Let's be sure to think in terms of rich text handling. Our media
> work at the W3C has forced us to recognize that the text we will be
> passing to a11y APIs will sometimes contain markup, and we'd like to see
> assistive technologies dealing with the markup appropriately. We're
> still working on how best to clarify this in the ARIA support
> documentation that is being produced by PF, but it's not too soon to put
> this consideration on the table here.
I think the UA rather than the AT should provide a rendering of the
marked up text.  That rendering would be a simple text string plus text
attributes.  Please see the IA2 text attributes at:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/accessibility/iaccessible2/textattributes
This would include support for portions of text that are in different
languages.