[Accessibility-ia2] next changes to IAccessible2

Pete Brunet pete at a11ysoft.com
Wed Jun 22 09:16:41 PDT 2011

On 6/22/2011 8:27 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Pete,
>
> I am looking at accessibleDocument. Should we not do more than that
> for a document interface? Should we also have features to collect and
> access specific objects with a specific element type - filtering
> mechanisms?

Hi Rich, It's been a long time since I looked at accessibleDocument.
(It's not part of IA2.)  I couldn't find a link in my archives.  Please
send it.  Would that discussion be better held on the parent LF a11y
list at accessibility at lists.linux-foundation.org ?  That will also be of
interest to the Linux a11y architects.

> Note: I am in favor of not unnecessarily growing the API. API changes
> cause a lot of churn. However, with the FCC adopting creating new laws
> based on the 21st Century Communication and Video act there is a need
> for infrastructure to better support the HTML 5 changes Silvia is
> working on to support video and audio.
>
> I am looking at the notification mechanism for media
> MEDIA_TEXT_QUEUE_CHANGE. Would it be better to have a callback
> registry for ATs similar to what we did in Java? I am concerned about
> potential OS scheduling issues caused by posting events to the message
> queue.

We've talked about adding something to get around the limitations of
WinEvent, primarily the lack of an event payload so out of process AT
don't have to use (and possibly get stale data) on a following call
fetching event data.  It's not become enough of an issue that the group
has pushed that change through though.

For in process AT the callback happens on the same thread that fires the
event.  Jamie might be able to comment on what problems there might be
for out of process AT when handing a cue change event.