[Accessibility-ia2] aria-colcount and aria-rowcount mapping, again

Richard Schwerdtfeger schwer at us.ibm.com
Sat Jan 2 00:00:01 UTC 2016

Yes, IBM has a commercially available accessibility test tool up on
BlueMix. Also, Deque has one.

There are 2 problems:

1. Internet Explorer and ATs. All the ATs go through the regular DOM and
for the most part ignore the accessibility apis. This is largely because
Microsoft did an incomplete accessibility api mapping. This is not an issue
with Firefox or Chrome. However, because of IE the whole industry is
impacted because all US Federal agencies are IE shops.

2. Accessibility test tools, today, test WCAG compliance to the DOM. The
reason they do this is because of IE and because we don't have a consistent
API mechanism. IOW, something may be exposed in one browser via the
accessibility API but not in another. See HTML5accessibility.com as an
example. These test tools are what product teams use to test accessibility
compliance WCAG.

We agree this situation needs to change. Microsoft is not longer supporting
IE accessibility (no further investment) and their Edge focus will be on
APIs. In this scenario we will be in a better position. We also agree that
for AT support we must focus on APIs.

We need to push for an alignment in accessibility API post ARIA 1.1. This
is also when we must expand ARIA to support Web components.

The last I looked we did not have enough JavaScript API available to walk
into the shadow DOM. What additional APIs do we have at disposal and do all
browsers support them? To my knowledge, commercial accessibility test tools
are not using them. I am more than willing to look into using the new APIs
for our tool and share that information with other commercial tools.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger