[Accessibility] Draft Minutes for the March 26 Meeting

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Apr 15 21:36:53 PDT 2003

A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by teleconference on Wednesday, March 26,2003, at 2:00 PM U.S. Eastern Time.

Attending:

	Doug Beattie
	John Goldthwaite
	Janina Sajka
	Aaron J. Seigo
	Sharon Snider
	The minutes of our March 21 face-to-face meeting in Los Angeles were approved as written.

The current draft mission statement:

	"Consider the full software stack to develop and promote free and open accessibility standards and reccomendations, as appropriate."

 was laid over for discussion on the list in order to clarify what "as appropriate" might mean. We welcomed Aaron J. Seigo from KDE and introduced ourselves to him.
This lead into a discussion of the nature of accessibility in computing environments. We will need to specify standards that delineate responsibility between desktop
and assistive technologies clearly, taking care to cover all levels either in our standards or recommendations to others.

We continued discussing Bill's proposal to adopt the GNOME at-spi, or some expanded version of it, as our first accessibility standard. Aaron said he thought it likely
that KDE would be willing to accept it inasmuch as it would not interfere with the look and feel of KDE. We will take up how to proceed with Bill's suggestion at our
next meeting.

We discussed setting up working web pages for the WG. We will have both public, and WG exclusive pages. Sharoon volunteered to be our webmaster.

Our next meeting was set for our usual time, 2:00 PM U.S. Eastern, on Wednesday, April 9.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development