[Accessibility] 2003 0416 Draft minutes

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Tue Apr 22 11:08:08 PDT 2003


 [Accessibility] Draft Minutes for the April 16 Meeting

A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by
teleconference on Wednesday, April 16,2003, at 2:00 PM U.S.
Eastern Time.

Attending:

	Doug Beattie
	Jonathan Blanford
	John Goldthwaite
	Bill Haneman
	Scott McNeil
	Janina Sajka
	Neil Scott
	Aaron J. Seigo
	J.P. Schnapper-Casteras
	Sharon Snider
	Matthew Wilcox, new member from HP

	The minutes of our March 26 teleconference were approved with
one correction eliminating Bill's "ownership" of the suggestion
to adopt the Gnome AT-SPI as our starting point.

Doug introduced a new member of the group from Hewlett-Packard,
Matthew "Willie" Wilcox.  Matthew described himself as a Debian
developer and kernel hacker.  He is active in kernel.org.  Doug
also introduced Scott McNeil, executive director of the Free
Standards Group who was participating in the meeting.

We discussed two versions of the mission statement:

#1
"Our mission is to develop and promote free and open
accessibility standards and to make recommendations with respect
to the complete software stack as appropriate to enable
comprehensive universal access to computer systems, applications,
and services."

#2
"Our mission is to develop and promote free and open
accessibility standards within the scope of the Free Standards
Group activities and to make recommendations with respect to the
complete software stack as appropriate to enable comprehensive
universal access to computer systems, applications, and
services."

Bill Haneman posted these to the list for a vote after 24 hours
for further thought.


We continued the discussion on adopting the GNOME AT-SPI as our
first accessibility standard.   Bill Haneman provided a framework
from a widget set perspective.  Show to handle from a console or
other nonwidget standpoint.  What is the dependency chain fo
rsomeone who want s to write AT software (what needs to be
installed on the computer to support AT with AT-SPI.  AT-SPI
service protocols-Something speaking the AT-SPI protocol must
exist on the machine.

AT-SPI is middleware seen by AT 


Set interfaces (happen to be implemented in CORBA 2.4) that AT
binary can call
3 classes: client(AT), center service registry, services provided
by application

Central service registry- Gnome library response for doing
dispatch, registration, provide info on platform I/O,
bootstrapping apps and AT, does things apps can’t do on their
own.  Avoids broadcast model.

Registry and application use the same AT-SPI interface
definitions.  App must speak to Registry.

JAVA has its own implementation of AT-SPI.  Simulates . . . not
bound to specific . . . now- until someone re-implements linux
Registry not specific to . . .
Current implementation on X for . . .
Could require some xLib to be loaded

a.	client – AT
b.	Central service registry
c.	Services provided by application.  To date this has been
provided by a bridge.  Application won’t touch AT SPI.  Runtime
bridge will connect SPI for app.

API 1 – API 2, bridge between toolkits specific API.
ATK . . .  needs GLIB (G_object) . . . toolkit neutral
Doesn’t touch application event loop, uses Gsignal.  Have to hook
into native event loop.  E.g. Mozilla internal access API modeled
on MSAA.  Mozilla bridged via IBM used ATK bridge.  Not easy to
write.
Concern over use of G_object, either use it or recreate it.

If developer creates a custom widget, she has to provide code on
how to handle the custom widget.

ATK is fast path for toolkit to adopt
ATK and AT-SPI are two separate solutions at different levels of
OS.

Jonathan: see how console people look at it.  Create one solution
if possible.  Also look at embedded world.  Get Kurk Reiser
involved.  Linux embedded – Sharp and Zorian?

Aaron will contact Sharp and Janina will contact Kirk Reiser.

Website:  Sharon will select a theme for the website and make
sure the template is accessible.

Janina gave an overview of the GSA Accessibility Forum and its
status.  The Forum group working on Software interoperability
passed its task off to a committee of vendor representatives
under the Assistive Technology Industry Association to create a
short term fix for software-AT interoperability.  These efforts
seem to be focused on platform specific solutions rather than a
broader solution.  Janina noted her concerns that these efforts
are not platform agnostic and the ATIA doesn’t appear to be using
an open process for the committee.  Its hoped that Rich
Schwerdtfeger and Marney Beard will be able to keep us informed
about the groups progress.   The ATIA group will be making a
presentation to the Access Board next week.  Janina will obtain a
copy of the report and post it.

Our next meeting was set for our usual time, 2:00 PM U.S.
Eastern, on Wednesday, April 23.  Additional meetings are
scheduled for April 30 and May 7, 2003.


--
John Goldthwaite, Senior Research Scientist
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia
Tech
404 894-0563 (voice)
866 948-8282 (toll free voice/TTY)
john.goldthwaite at arch.gatech.edu





More information about the Accessibility mailing list