[Accessibility] RoadMap Draft doc version 0.2 from 30 April 2003

Doug Beattie dbb at linkexplorer.com
Wed Apr 30 12:12:08 PDT 2003

Attached is the plain text file with item numbers in it and some
comments I took based on conversations from todays meeting.

_Please_ correct, add to, separate out, rearrange, etc. the items
through discussions on the list to better represent what this group
feels is the right things to be involved in the the time frames to
accomplish the tasks.

As I am not knowledgeable in accessibility I put this into your
capable hands to develop properly.

Thanks,
Doug
dbb at linkexplorer.com
-------------- next part --------------
RoadMap for the Free Standards Group - Accessibility Workgroup

Draft Version 0.3 -- 30 April 2003

	We will work towards standards that help those producing
	products to be closer to conforming to US section 508, Europe's
	CEN, Japan's ???, and Australia's ??? programs.

1 year plan:
        1. AT-SPI (or part thereof that could agreed on with perhaps some
                minor exclusions.)
                This will gain us - key components for desktop/windowing
		 environments.
                Lays out the responsibilities of the application vs
                 the AT layer and the kernel.
                We have early signs that major Xwindow environments
                 (GNOME and KDE at least) will both be able to adopt
                 this without major disagreement.
                This can be be made to work with Internationalization.
                The Service Provider Interface is more generic than
                 just a program interface. Between the AT-SPI and the
                 ATK we should be able to implement the libaries in a
                 number of environments.

        2. Develop the guidelines for a framework to build on for the use of
	 standards to allow better utilization of a device by multiple apps
	 to reduce the cost of ownership to the end user while maximixing all
         available compliant applications. (Hardware is expensive, but
         our software could be made less expensive.) This would make
         the technology more readily available to more people.
#2 should be discussed on the list.

        3. Parts of AccessX Standard for Accessibility
		XKB in the Linux world
		  We will need to decide which specific parts we
		   either include or exclude.
#3 should be discussed on the list.

        4. SMIL components and parsing mechanisms -- Libraries
We need to beter define this, see what can be done in year one and
what needs to be pushed out into future years.

2 years out:
        5. Textmode Only Boot for Accessibility
         This will require some kernel, bios, and bootloader
         coordination.

        6. Guidelines for Accessibility Standard for Administrators

3 years out:
        7. Voice based I/O standard
	 This is to be coordinated with OpenI18N and other groups
	  dealing with various I/O methods.

        8. Work to adopt portions of INCITS/V2 as appropriate
                Needed for servers driving kiosks

        9. Accessibility Standard for Administrators - to the extend
         possible. This involves possible kernel modifications, (how
         do devices plug in), that should be doable by this time frame.

        10. Installation Standard for Accessibility
         This involves cursor tracking, etc.

        11. Comprehensive Braille Standard

        12. Text To Speech (TTS)
         Could involve XML in terms of what gets sent when and how

5 years out:
        13. Magnification Support Standard -- Although pieces may be
         worked earlier, even in the first year, this will take a
         number of years to complete. This is not a time concern
         because of technology, but because of its overall size.

        14. Structured Navigation Standard
         Important for voice driven devices in the car, etc.
          Ties into international DAISY Consortium.

Other items we can help facilitate:

        Kernel hardware device interfacing standard--perhaps even a
	 Major/Minor spec?

        Some of this item is included above--but we need more on the
	 input side, especial console level.