[Accessibility] Minutes for 7/30/03

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Thu Aug 7 09:19:52 PDT 2003


Meeting minutes 7/30/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by
teleconference on Wednesday, July 30,2003, at 2:00 PM U.S.
Eastern Time.

Attending:
Doug Beattie
Jonathan Blanford
John Goldthwaite
Scott McNeil
Janina Sajka
Sharon Snider
Matthew Wilcox

Action Items:
Janina-
3. Xkb - Janina will look at Bill=92s xkb proposal and see if we
can reuse it.
4. Text-only accessible booting =96 Janina with Matthew Wilcox,
Kirk
5. Guidelines for Sys admins =96 Janina with help from Doug
7. Text to Speech =96 Janina will talk to Mark Mulkayhe
8. V2 =96 Janina
9. Sys Admin =96 Janina
10. Installation =96 Janina
11. Braille =96 Janina has written to Mario.
12. Structured navigation =96 Janina

Kirk/Mario
2. AT device handling

Jonathan-
1. AT-SPI =96 Jonathan will work on finding someone.  Perhaps Aaron
or Peter Korn
6. Service API Support for Magnification  - Jonathan will talk to
Peter.

John-
13. Voice I/O

---------------------------------
Minutes from last weeks meeting were approved without
modification.
Action items from last week are complete.

Old Business
Gunnar sent a comment on 102a bullet point on:
  =85 provide text to speech voice output for individuals who
cannot speak.  Lack of the appropriate speech recognition based
interfacing can prevent the individual's full participation.

There will be more telephony and IVR products in which will be
much more common.  Products directed toward telco=92s.  Bayonne
product is an example of speech system.

Substitute 102a bullet point 3 (=93provide text to speech voice
output =85=94) with:
=93Support participation by individuals who can't speak or hear on
today's telephony interfaces and tomorrow's multimodal computer
interfaces.=94

Add Qt and KDE to part d)

Item 2b =96 What level of detail do we need?
Scott: the more detail on tasks the better.  What are you trying
to do, problem being solved. Who does it effect, who will
participate and who will benefit from the project, e.g. can say
SUN micro is interested in making technical contributions; don=92t
have to be specific about what.

Road map: we need volunteers or we need to recruit some specific
people.  Janina has contacted Kirk and Mario.

Year 1
1. AT-SPI =96 Jonathan will work on finding someone.  Perhaps Aaron
or Peter Korn
2. AT device handling =96 Kirk and Mario =96 they have just done for
brltty
3. Xkb -  Janina will look at Bill=92s xkb proposal and see if we
can reuse it.

Year 2
4. Text-only accessible booting =96 Janina with Matthew Wilcox,
Kirk
5. Guidelines for Sys admins =96 Janina with help from Doug
6. Service API Support for Magnification  - Jonathan will talk to
Peter. Needs people from xfree group due to its approach.  Keith
Packard would be good to involve if he=92s available.  SUN could do
the write up for now.
7. Text to Speech =96 hand off to speech.  Ways of creating voice.
Janina will talk to Mark Mulkayhe

Year Three
8. V2 =96 Janina
9. Sys Admin =96 Janina
10. Installation =96 Janina
11. Braille =96 Janina has written to Mario.
12. Structured navigation =96 Janina
13. Voice I/O =96 moving toward interfaces based on speech input
and speech =96 problems for people who can=92t speech=96 why it=92s a
problem for deaf, speech impaired,  - John Goldthwaite

  2A =96 list of participants =96 Doug has a list, will send it out
to us to finish.  Will need okay from organizations about
participation.

Before beginning 3 send 1 and 2 to Doug and Scott for review.
Sharon:  should we put the tasks on the web?
Janina- it would be helpful =96

Urls for EU accessibility initiatives were in Janina=92s email of
7/1, subject: [Accessibility] EU Accessibility Law and
Standardization Initiatives

Email is being archived.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, August 13 at 18:00



John Goldthwaite, Senior Research Scientist
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia
Tech
404 894-0563 (voice)
866 948-8282 (toll free voice/TTY)
john.goldthwaite at catea.org
-------------- next part --------------
Meeting minutes 7/30/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by teleconference on =
Wednesday, July 30,2003, at 2:00 PM U.S. Eastern Time.

Attending: =

Doug Beattie =

Jonathan Blanford =

John Goldthwaite
Scott McNeil
Janina Sajka =

Sharon Snider =

Matthew Wilcox

Action Items:
Janina-  =

3. Xkb - Janina will look at Bill's xkb proposal and see if we can reuse it.
4. Text-only accessible booting - Janina with Matthew Wilcox, Kirk
5. Guidelines for Sys admins - Janina with help from Doug  =

7. Text to Speech - Janina will talk to Mark Mulkayhe
8. V2 - Janina
9. Sys Admin - Janina =

10. Installation - Janina =

11. Braille - Janina has written to Mario.
12. Structured navigation - Janina

Kirk/Mario
2. AT device handling =


Jonathan-
1. AT-SPI - Jonathan will work on finding someone.  Perhaps Aaron or Peter =
Korn
6. Service API Support for Magnification  - Jonathan will talk to Peter. =


John-
13. Voice I/O

---------------------------------
Minutes from last weeks meeting were approved without modification.	=

Action items from last week are complete.  =


Old Business
Gunnar sent a comment on 102a bullet point on:   =

  ... provide text to speech voice output for individuals who cannot speak.=
  Lack of the appropriate speech recognition based interfacing can prevent =
the individual's full participation.

There will be more telephony and IVR products in which will be much more co=
mmon.  Products directed toward telco's.  Bayonne product is an example of =
speech system.  =


Substitute 102a bullet point 3 ("provide text to speech voice output ...") =
with:
"Support participation by individuals who can't speak or hear on today's te=
lephony interfaces and tomorrow's multimodal computer interfaces."

Add Qt and KDE to part d)

Item 2b - What level of detail do we need?  =

Scott: the more detail on tasks the better.  What are you trying to do, pro=
blem being solved. Who does it effect, who will participate and who will be=
nefit from the project, e.g. can say SUN micro is interested in making tech=
nical contributions; don't have to be specific about what.  =


Road map: we need volunteers or we need to recruit some specific people.  J=
anina has contacted Kirk and Mario.  =


Year 1
1. AT-SPI - Jonathan will work on finding someone.  Perhaps Aaron or Peter =
Korn
2. AT device handling - Kirk and Mario - they have just done for brltty =

3. Xkb -  Janina will look at Bill's xkb proposal and see if we can reuse i=
t.

Year 2
4. Text-only accessible booting - Janina with Matthew Wilcox, Kirk
5. Guidelines for Sys admins - Janina with help from Doug  =

6. Service API Support for Magnification  - Jonathan will talk to Peter. Ne=
eds people from xfree group due to its approach.  Keith Packard would be go=
od to involve if he's available.  SUN could do the write up for now.  =

7. Text to Speech - hand off to speech.  Ways of creating voice.  Janina wi=
ll talk to Mark Mulkayhe

Year Three
8. V2 - Janina
9. Sys Admin - Janina =

10. Installation - Janina =

11. Braille - Janina has written to Mario.
12. Structured navigation - Janina
13. Voice I/O - moving toward interfaces based on speech input and speech -=
 problems for people who can't speech- why it's a problem for deaf, speech =
impaired,  - John Goldthwaite

  2A - list of participants - Doug has a list, will send it out to us to fi=
nish.  Will need okay from organizations about participation.  =


Before beginning 3 send 1 and 2 to Doug and Scott for review. =

Sharon:  should we put the tasks on the web?  =

Janina- it would be helpful -

Urls for EU accessibility initiatives were in Janina's email of 7/1, subjec=
t: [Accessibility] EU Accessibility Law and Standardization Initiatives

Email is being archived.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, August 13 at 18:00 =





More information about the Accessibility mailing list