[Accessibility] Documentation

Sharon D Snider snidersd at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 21 08:25:11 PDT 2003

After our meeting yesterday, I spoke with George Kraft and obtained the
following information on documentation:

      - The specification should follow the ISO , "Rules for the structure
and drafting of International standards". The document is available at
http://isotc.iso.ch/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2123/14006/639511/1161718/1173764/Rules_for_the_structure_and_drafting_of_International_Standards_(Part_2,_2001,_4th_edition)(pdf_format).pdf?nodeid=1166877&vernum=0

      - References to other related standards  (i.e. Section 508, W3C)
should be included, but not duplicated. For example, accessible
documentation is a part of Section 508, so a reference to the Section 508
standard is included. In addition, we could address the different forms of
accessible documentation such as HTML, then reference the W3C standard for
the creation of accessible HTML.

      - The referenced standards should be readily available, stable, and
without cost.

      - The specifications are normally written in SGML or XML, and
Docbook.

Regards,
Sharon Snider
Linux Accessibility, and Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127