[Accessibility] FSG Accessibility workgroup Draft Minutes December 10, 2003

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Dec 10 14:29:29 PST 2003


December 10, 2003 Draft Minutes FSG Accessibility workgroup

Doug Beattie
John Goldthwaite
Bill Haneman
Randy Horwitz
Michael Meeks
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Sharon Snider
Matthew Wilcox
Allen Wilson

Action items:

	Doug- talk to Neal about facilities in Hawaii
	All – read proposal and vote


Minutes from last meeting accepted with changes from Peter and Randy.

Michael Meeks was introduced to the group.  Michael Meeks has been involved
in accessibility for while.  Worked on AT-SPI in conjunction with Bill
Haneman.  Interested in functional solution, especially for Novell. He’s an
expert on Bonobo and Korba issues with AT-SPI.

Action items:
John- Georgia Tech would let us use the GCATT boardroom(sets 30-40) and two
breakout rooms for free for our meeting.  Hotels nearby Marriott Courtyard
and Sheraton Colony Square are $99 per night.  Called Mark Novak and he is
interested in joining the group, sent his contact information to Doug to add
Mark to the list.

IBM has offered to host the meeting at IBM Almaden Research Center, San
Jose.  IBM will pay for breakfast and lunch.  Hotels are $130-150 in this
area.

Finishing NSF proposal.
Bill- we should make it clear that the effort is already underway.  They
should know this is not a kickoff meeting but more substantial.  Insert
something short, “Current roadmap is well formed.
Allen- This agenda is based on over a year of preparatory work.  We are an
accepted FSG standard group.
Doug- like letting them know that we’ve been meeting by teleconference for a
year and need to get together face to face.
Develop an agenda for adoption and development of standards.

Bill- The road map has been developed including plans for year 2004 after a
year of teleconferences.  Now need to meet face to face to develop more
detailed plans for development activities. There are a couple of things that
might be misunderstood- “standards that will be set in motion” This implies
that no standards work taken place before the meeting.

Allen- change it to “standards activities will be accelerated by”

Bill – do we need to say why NSF support is needed and appropriate?  Some
standards are important to vendors and they will pay for their development.
Other standards such as accessibility are not a primary economic concern of
vendors and require more public support.
Janina-
Allen- there not all corporate, we have non-profit participants that need
support.
Bill- in Executive summary we make it clear its developer community and not
just companies
Janina- Need to give some reasons why we are asking for funding from NSF and
not NIDRR.  Promote accessibility of computer based scientific
instrumentation and educational technology.
Bill- Enabling research and enabling software development. Standardized,
open platform would accelerate development of software, particularly in
universities.

Finished wordsmithing, next discussed the budget.

Doug - $150 per day for hotel should be okay.
Janina- our AFB meeting person said start high and work down, probably $200
for downtown Washington or San Francisco.  We should be able to get hotel to
give us meeting rooms if we are going to have this many people stay in the
hotel.
Allen- will be some transportation costs for Almaden.  It’s on the south
side of San Jose in fairly remote location.
Janina- airfare

Doug- we’ve got $300 for most fares for other meetings
Janina- we might need to use $500 from some locations.  Washington and
Atlanta are not that competitive.  My sense is we’re asking $35,000 to
40,000.  I would like to budget for a conference staffer for ten days or so
to handle the negotiations with the hotel and make the arrangements so we
can concentrate on our work.
Allen- Will need to look into Internet access at Almaden, IBM isn’t keen on
having outsiders on the IBM internal network.
Janina- we would have access in the hotel, but can’t see this group doing
without web access for three days.
Randy- if a resource is needed during the meeting, say a part of xkb. It
would be good to have Internet access for that and other research tasks.
Allen- we can have web access, we’ll work on it and see what we can do for a
local net.
Janina – only food we’d need would be evening meals for the IBM proposal
Doug- Neil said that at the right time of the year the hotels in Hawaii are
$40.
Janina- lets do the estimate based on the higher hotel rates so we know we’
ll be covered.  I’ll start working on those figures for the proposal.  We’ll
need some network access, LCD projector, room with large conference table,
two breakout rooms, speaker phone in conference room,
We’re talking about inviting people.  What if other people say they want to
come and isn’t this an open meeting?
Doug- anyone who has a good reason to participate can do so.  We’re an open
organization.
Allen- could have call in for other people that want to participate.  Face
to face is invitational, call in for others.
Janina- would we need sign language or hearing assistance? We should budget
for interpreters in case we need it.  If we don’t have to use it then we won
’t spend the money.
I will write this up and distribute it. Can people review it and vote on it
so that we can get the proposal out the door this week.  It’s exciting to
think about meeting everyone face to face.

Janina- Next week we’ll look at invitations, the announcement message and
get back to the work group agendas.
Will next week’s meeting be the last for the year?
Allen – put a note out to the list to ask if people want to meet the week of
Christmas and New Years.

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org





More information about the Accessibility mailing list