[Accessibility] NSF Draft #4

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Dec 10 14:33:28 PST 2003

Doug Beattie wrote:

>I like the way this reads now.

Agreed, I really like the way it reads also.

A couple of nits:

>> * Vendors of Unix and Linux such as IBM Corporation, Red Hat Inc., Sun Micro Systems,
>>   and United Linux, among others.

Should we mention Novell since they are now major stakeholders?  And
since Michael is on board ;-) ?

<snip>

>> * Users with various disabilities can not effectively use the system.

You use a leading capital letter here, and "system" singular, whereas
the other bullet points use lower-case initial letters, and "systems"
plural.

>> * systems do not meet legal requirements (which hampers marketing of
>>   free standards based systems).
>> * developers cannot consistently write accessible applications.
>> * comprehensive and consistent platform services that support

<snip>

>>AT-SPI enables assistive technology tools, e.g. screen readers,
>> magnifiers, and even scripting interfaces to query and interact with
>> graphical user interface (GUI) controls." As such it facilitates access
>> for individuals who cannot use the standard GUI. It enables developers
>> (or a third party) to build applications that are, or can be made
>> accessible.

There's an extraneous quotation mark (") in the above paragraph, it seems.

>>The AT-SPI enables developers and distributions to meet the accessibility
>> requirements of many individual and corporate customers.
>>
>>2.) AT Device Shared I/O
>>
>>AT device shared I/O would make it possible for devices that are
>> commonly used by persons with disabilities to operate smoothly with
>> several client applications simultaneously.

I cannot fault the document on any significant count, I think it's a
very strong proposal.

Thanks Janina!

- Bill