[Accessibility] Draft Minutes from Wednesday, 19 February

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Feb 20 17:31:08 PST 2003

A draft of minutes from our meeting yesterday, 19 February, are
attached. Please advise regarding any corrections or additions.

--

Thanks, Doug, for preparing these.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group

The 02/19/03 Accessibility Workgroup meeting took place, via phone conference,

 Wednesday,  February 19  19:00 GMT
   --   20:00 CET  (Berlin)
   --   19:00 WET  (London)
   --   14:00 EST  (New York)
   --   13:00 CST  (Chicago)
   --   12:00 MST  (Salt Lake City)
   --   11:00 PST  (San Francisco)
   --   04:00 JST  (Tokyo) (02/20/03)

Duration: We started the meeting a little late and ended just over one hour
later.

Participants on the call
------------------------
  Bill Haneman..........GNOME Accessibility project and SUN
  Janina Sajka..........American Foundation for the Blind
  JP Schnapper-Casteras.UW Trace Center and KDE Accessibility Team (temp.)
  Sharon Snider.........IBM Linux Accessibility - Linux Technology Services
  Jonathan Blandford....Red Hat and GNOME Foundation
  Neil Scott (Advisor)..Chief Engineer of the Archimedes Project, Stanford
                      Center for the Study of Language and Information
  Mario Lang ...........Debian representative
  Doug Beattie..........Free Standards Group

Regrets
--------
  TV Raman..............IBM - Code Author of Emacspeak
                      On a plane
  John Goldthwaite......Research Scientist II, GA Tech
                      Center for Assistive Technology & Environmental Access
                       On vacation

Agenda:

1. Welcome
	Mario Lang of Debian joined us.

2. Review of corrected minutes from last weeks meeting
	Minutes okay

3. Group status
	This group is currently functioning under an "Acting Accessbility
	Workgroup" status.
	Janina is now the "Acting Chair Person" for the group.

4. Mail List(s) and Web Site
	accessibility at freestandards.org
	The site is up. Please use it.

5. The group's goal(s)/mission statement
	Active discussion was held on the wording, base on the LSB mission
	statement. We should keep it to a couple of sentences. Let's go
	off and work this through the list, by next meeting.
	We can also work on a laundry list of goals.

6. Issues for the group to work
	Janina asked that we state our names before speaking.
	Discussion was held on how we approach the issues. Do we work down
	the current list and address low hanging fruit or do we decide to
	work certain areas (ie low vision vs blind vs deaf) for a specific
	meeting?
	Concerns were brought up about dealing with application certification.
	It would be more logical to address the runtime (assistive technology)
	end first.
	These items will also be taken to the list for further discussion.

7. More information on the Face to Face Meeting
	In conjunction with CSUN 2003 and the 3rd Linux Accessibility
	Conference (LAC3)
	Thursday March 20 and Friday, March 21
	La Jolla room, LAX Marriott

	Mario will look into the possibility of attending. Time and funding
	is an issue.
	Neil will be out of the country and not attending.
	Jonathan is still looking into this. He is wondering about how
	he can justify attendance.
	Janina said this is the Grand Daddy of Accessibility conferences
	held yearly at the same time and place. See catalogue of exhibitors
	to get a feel of what you can obtain by attendance at
http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/.
	We will most likely have teleconference facility available.
	We should try to lock down specific times for next year early so
	we can drive our work ahead more.
	We will try to have a 9:00-11:00 Friday meeting specific to this group.

8. Any Other Business
	The group asked what documents people may have reviewed. We also talked
	about the rules around referencing others documents. We need to verify
	licensing as well.
	For issues that are out of scope for this group, we could have our
	members work the other groups to offer recommendations that we believe
	need addressing.

9. Next Meeting
	Janina has a problem with this time for the next two weeks as does JP.
	JP and Neil do not have a problem meeting a little earlier.
	It was proposed and agreed that we will meet at 09:00 EST next week.
	A formal announcement and agenda will be sent out to the list, with
	all times and a dial in number shown when Janina pulls the agenda
	together.