[Accessibility] FSG102 Document Part 1 Section F working copy

Doug Beattie dbb at linkexplorer.com
Mon Jul 21 07:35:56 PDT 2003

Janina and others:

I have a couple of comments on what has been written on this so far.

My comments are prefaced with "Replace" for the old text and "With"
just before the new text.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 04:03:10PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Following our teleconference discussion I have expanded Part 1f as shown
> below. Please provide any revisions, deletions or additions as you see
> fit. It is our hope to reach consensus on this section here on the list
> within a day or two.
>

> f. Other parties that would benefit from the standard, including free
>    software projects or classes of end users.
>

> The principle beneficiaries of FSG Accessibility Standards will, of
> course, be persons with disabilities worldwide. They are the reason for
> these standards. However, the wider world of developers and
> marketers of technologies based on free standards will also benefit:
>

> Users who are persons with disabilities will:

Replace
> *	 Find free software more useful and usable.
With
* Find compatible free as well as commerical software more useful and usable.

> *	Enjoy consistent, integrated accessibility
> from boot-up to shutdown in both console and desktop
> environments--wherever they might need it.
>
> *	Find personal and public devices and systems, such as
> telephones, personal data assistants (PDA), entertainment systems,
> public kiosks, banking and voting
> machines, useful and usable.
>
> The world of free standards based technology will:

Replace
> *	Extend its ability to support any and all users regardless of
> disability, physical, or sensory condition,
With
* Extend its coverage to support any and all users regardless of
  disability, physical, or sensory condition,

> *	Increase participation in future software development,
>
> *	Become yet more robust, innovative, and generally attractive to
> all users by integrating multiple ways by which users can access
> information and perform tasks.
>
> *	Meet, and even exceed, social and legal mandates requiring
> inclusion of persons with disabilities in electronic and information
> technologies,

Replace
> *	Maximize marketers ability to compete effectively in markets
> where accessibility is a selection criterion.
With
* Expand into new market segments and provide business' the ability to
  compete effectively in markets where accessibility is a selection
  criterion.

> It is important to note that these benefits will be available world-wide
> in developing and developed nations alike because cost will never be a
> barrier to anyone's participation, either as an end user or as a
> technical contributor.
>

> --

Doug
dbb at linkexplorer.com