[Accessibility] draft minutes for July 23, 2003 accessibility wg

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Jul 23 12:47:26 PDT 2003


Meeting minutes 7/23/03

Attending:
Doug Beattie
Jonathan Blanford
John Goldthwaite
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Sharon Snider
@matthew.wilcox at hp.com
@willy at fc.hp.com

Action Items:
Sharon- add sections c-f to website for all to review.

Janina- divide roadmap into a list of projects.  Send the list
out to the group.

All- Review completed sections a-f.  Please volunteer to write up
a task from roadmap including a description of the task, why its
important, scope of the problem, type and quantity of manpower
needed.

---------------------------------
Updated minutes approved.
Action items complete.  Doug has list of 3-a when its needed.

Old Business
Janina =96 sent a lot of time last week on a and b, they are
complete.

C & D
=96 addition from Gunnar- European items and =91K=92 products as
examples:
Gunnar- Not sure if we should add kttsd for c) and word
completion APIs

C- examples of existing products or partial solutions that would
benefit from the standard; examples of what new implementation
work will be needed.  Software projects that we can draw from or
that would benefit.

Sharon:  You are suggesting to add KMouse tools, Kmagnifier and
kttsd to section d?
Gunnar  - Magnifier doesn=92t use API but could if one were
available.
Sharon: will add kttsd to d and Add kttsd-API to c

Is C for APIs and services and D is for software, solutions that
could use them?

Doug =96 in section C you list existing products or activities that
show there are behaviors that can be used as standards.  Show
existing projects, software, API=92s that are potential standards
or parts of potential standards.  In D list projects that use the
existing APIs or best practices.  Also list Projects and software
that could use the standards if they existed.

Gunnar- Kttsd is a front end to a text to a speech system for
KDE. (what Gnome-speech is for Gnome)
Doug - What is the API for kttsd? call it kttsd-API.  List that
under c
Sharon =96 I will put Kmouse tools, Kmagnifier in d;  keep word
completion-API in c

Janina- should Festival be added to d?  It=92s a voice synthesizer.
Takes ascii and converts it to speech.  There are front ends to
take text in other languages and prep them for Festival.  Also
tools for creating voices for other languages.

[Discussion of Festival- missed most of details]
Part of accessibility- not enough to take for one language, have
tool sets to add missing pieces such as voices.  Diff. Glyphs on
screen; Festival for voice.  =85.

One thing for API speech engine, another part that takes the
output and modifies it.  Interface between on screen an the
disabled

Add =96 Flite and Festival,
What about Java =96 free-tts. What to do with Java products?
Doug- nothing, its not open source.  Can=92t reference anything
that people would have to pay licenses.
Janina- reason to cover =96 we can get funding to do this piece-
tools for building voices.

Jonathan- view this is a survey of what=92s out there, not what we
may do ourselves
Janina- c & d are things that already happening; show that there
activities, people doing things in uncoordinated way- standards
could help them develop compatible products and keep them from
=91re-inventing the wheel=92.

Discussion of Mario=92s suggestions:
Mario=92s suggestions - Add brltty to d and brl-API to c =96
Janina =96 this good example of what we=92d like to do with each AT
technology- handles everything from console to output.
Brl-API prevents conflicts if want to use 2 screenreaders or
screenreader and a Braille device, Gnopericus already uses the
API.

All agreed to add brltty to d and brl-API to c.

Sharon will add these comments and put them on website for
review.
We will consider c & d complete if no objection in 24 hours.

E & F
Fair amount of discussion last week.  Janina added to e & f and
sent the revisions out just before the meeting.
These are policy and social cases- who benefits.  You don=92t have
to have a disability to benefit.  Don=92t need to dwell on that but
its useful to say it in (f).
Sharon- will put e) & f) on web with changes Doug suggested on
7/21
We can review on website as a whole. =96 we can always add items or
remove some.

Item 2
Presenting roadmap to board.  How do we break roadmap into tasks?
Issue of certification?  Doug suggested creating certification
method as part of the effort.
Doug =96 government is seeking comment on changes to purchasing
process.  Doug sent out a url for the comment site.  Doug is
trying to get meeting with CIO in Office of Management and
Budget.

Need to add items we just discussed on Festival to roadmap.

Janina =96 roadmap =96 list of projects that may be worked on as they
are funded.  Let groups such as universities, individuals take
pieces as they can get funding or resources.

Doug- anything done in both KDE and Gnome should be represented
in roadmap.
=85
Janina: How much detail in tasks?  Doug checked for model on LSB
website-
How do we proceed to develop the detail?  Break roadmap into
projects, send out to let us make suggestions for steps involved.
Doug:  Just toplevel of tasks.  Goal of task; things that need to
be created or modified.  The type of people needed to work on it.
When we=92d like to have it complete.  Overall description and
scope not the engineering details. Detail task analysis would be
performed by each task group as they plan their project.

Sending out list of tasks out, let people volunteer for each.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, July 30 at 18:00



John Goldthwaite, Senior Research Scientist
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia
Tech
404 894-0563 (voice)
866 948-8282 (toll free voice/TTY)
john.goldthwaite at catea.org
-------------- next part --------------
Meeting minutes 7/23/03

Attending: =

Doug Beattie =

Jonathan Blanford =

John Goldthwaite
Janina Sajka =

Gunnar Schmidt =

Sharon Snider =

@matthew.wilcox at hp.com
@willy at fc.hp.com

Action Items:
Sharon- add sections c-f to website for all to review.  =


Janina- divide roadmap into a list of projects.  Send the list out to the g=
roup. =


All- Review completed sections a-f.  Please volunteer to write up a task fr=
om roadmap including a description of the task, why its important, scope of=
 the problem, type and quantity of manpower needed.

---------------------------------
Updated minutes approved.	=

Action items complete.  Doug has list of 3-a when its needed.

Old Business
Janina - sent a lot of time last week on a and b, they are complete.

C & D =

- addition from Gunnar- European items and 'K' products as examples: =

Gunnar- Not sure if we should add kttsd for c) and word completion APIs =


C- examples of existing products or partial solutions that would benefit fr=
om the standard; examples of what new implementation work will be needed.  =
Software projects that we can draw from or that would benefit.  =


Sharon:  You are suggesting to add KMouse tools, Kmagnifier and kttsd to se=
ction d? =

Gunnar  - Magnifier doesn't use API but could if one were available.
Sharon: will add kttsd to d and Add kttsd-API to c

Is C for APIs and services and D is for software, solutions that could use =
them?  =


Doug - in section C you list existing products or activities that show ther=
e are behaviors that can be used as standards.  Show existing projects, sof=
tware, API's that are potential standards or parts of potential standards. =
 In D list projects that use the existing APIs or best practices.  Also lis=
t Projects and software that could use the standards if they existed.

Gunnar- Kttsd is a front end to a text to a speech system for KDE. (what Gn=
ome-speech is for Gnome) =

Doug - What is the API for kttsd? call it kttsd-API.  List that under c
Sharon - I will put Kmouse tools, Kmagnifier in d;  keep word completion-AP=
I in c

Janina- should Festival be added to d?  It's a voice synthesizer.  Takes as=
cii and converts it to speech.  There are front ends to take text in other =
languages and prep them for Festival.  Also tools for creating voices for o=
ther languages.  =


[Discussion of Festival- missed most of details]
Part of accessibility- not enough to take for one language, have tool sets =
to add missing pieces such as voices.  Diff. Glyphs on screen; Festival for=
 voice.  ....

One thing for API speech engine, another part that takes the output and mod=
ifies it.  Interface between on screen an the disabled

Add - Flite and Festival, =

What about Java - free-tts. What to do with Java products?
Doug- nothing, its not open source.  Can't reference anything that people w=
ould have to pay licenses.  =

Janina- reason to cover - we can get funding to do this piece- tools for bu=
ilding voices.  =


Jonathan- view this is a survey of what's out there, not what we may do our=
selves
Janina- c & d are things that already happening; show that there activities=
, people doing things in uncoordinated way- standards could help them devel=
op compatible products and keep them from 're-inventing the wheel'.

Discussion of Mario's suggestions: =

Mario's suggestions - Add brltty to d and brl-API to c - =

Janina - this good example of what we'd like to do with each AT technology-=
 handles everything from console to output. =

Brl-API prevents conflicts if want to use 2 screenreaders or screenreader a=
nd a Braille device, Gnopericus already uses the API.

All agreed to add brltty to d and brl-API to c.

Sharon will add these comments and put them on website for review.
We will consider c & d complete if no objection in 24 hours.  =


E & F
Fair amount of discussion last week.  Janina added to e & f and sent the re=
visions out just before the meeting.
These are policy and social cases- who benefits.  You don't have to have a =
disability to benefit.  Don't need to dwell on that but its useful to say i=
t in (f).  =

Sharon- will put e) & f) on web with changes Doug suggested on 7/21
We can review on website as a whole. - we can always add items or remove so=
me.

Item 2
Presenting roadmap to board.  How do we break roadmap into tasks?  Issue of=
 certification?  Doug suggested creating certification method as part of th=
e effort. =

Doug - government is seeking comment on changes to purchasing process.  Dou=
g sent out a url for the comment site.  Doug is  trying to get meeting with=
 CIO in Office of Management and Budget.  =


Need to add items we just discussed on Festival to roadmap.  =


Janina - roadmap - list of projects that may be worked on as they are funde=
d.  Let groups such as universities, individuals take pieces as they can ge=
t funding or resources.

Doug- anything done in both KDE and Gnome should be represented in roadmap. =

...
Janina: How much detail in tasks?  Doug checked for model on LSB website- =

How do we proceed to develop the detail?  Break roadmap into projects, send=
 out to let us make suggestions for steps involved. =

Doug:  Just toplevel of tasks.  Goal of task; things that need to be create=
d or modified.  The type of people needed to work on it.  When we'd like to=
 have it complete.  Overall description and scope not the engineering detai=
ls. Detail task analysis would be performed by each task group as they plan=
 their project.

Sending out list of tasks out, let people volunteer for each.  =


Our next meeting is Wednesday, July 30 at 18:00 =





More information about the Accessibility mailing list