[Accessibility] Corrections and extentions to the 102 document

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jul 30 08:39:30 PDT 2003

Gunnar Schmi Dt writes:
> From: Gunnar Schmi Dt <gunnar at schmi-dt.de>

> Hello,
>
> I've found some points in the 102 document that I think need to be changed:
>
> part a):
> The third bullet in the first list says:
> > provide text to speech voice output for individuals who cannot speak.
> >  Lack of the appropriate speech recognition based interfacing can
> >  prevent the individual's full participation.

Thanks for spotting this, Bunnar. You're correct. This doesn't make
sense.

I think the purpose of these three items is very general--to quickly
illustrate the need for accessibility standards. The point of this third
item is really a bit futuristic. I think we mean to say that, as
computers become more multimodal and speech interfaces are encompassed
by free standards, we need to ensure that people who don't speak or
don't hear are not excluded. I guess this applies to free standards
based telephony today and to computers in the future, actually.

So, maybe something like:

Support participation by individuals who can't speak or hear on today's
telephony interfaces and tomorrow's multimodal computer interfaces.

Maybe this isn't quite right either, but I think it might be a bit
closer. These three bullet points are meant to say something about the
three major disability groupings our standards will address--mobility,
vision, and speech/hearing. Actually, there's a hidden point for
learning disabilities in #2--but probably not worth teasing out at this
point.

> IMO there is a gap between the first and the second sentence. Maybe we could
> change the first sentence to:
>
> provide text to speech voice output for individuals who cannot speak and
> speech recognition for individuals who cannot hear.

Unfortunately,this won't work either. People who don't hear may make
sounds when greeting each other (or not). But, they're unlikely to want,
or be able to use, voice input, imho.

I'm OK with your Part C & D points below.