[Accessibility] Additional URLs for accessibility.freestandards.org
Sharon D Snider
snidersd at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 30 11:56:52 PDT 2003
----- Forwarded by Sharon D Snider/Austin/IBM on 07/30/2003 01:58 PM -----
<janina at rednote.n To: Sharon D Snider/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
et> cc: Doug Beattie <dbb at linkexplorer.com>
Subject: Additional URLs for accessibility.freestandards.org
While it's nowhere near as complete as the U.S. 508, I am wondering if
we shouldn't att eh URLs below to the web site? This is a message I sent
to the list a few weeks ago ... ...
The following items provide pointers to current EU initiatives relating to
accessibility and the standardization work of our group.
The European Union Council Resolution of 6th February 2003 entitled
"eAccessibility - Improving Access of People with Disabilities to the
calls on member states and Commission to (amongst other things):
* promote a more coordinated approach by the key players involved in
eAccessibility and in the application and development of technology,
legislation, and education.
* promote common methodologies with regard to the use of the WAI (W3C
Accessibility Initiative) guidelines.
* promote feedback on standardisation activities and their impact on "real
* consider the provision of an eAccessibility mark for goods and services
which comply with relevant standards for eAccessibility.
* promote the aim that proposed Design for All curricula are developed by
* ensure that multimedia materials and the use of ICT in education do not
create new barriers.
* ensure that eAccessibility becomes a regular part of all education
programmes of vocational schools of any level, e.g. web masters, multimedia
authors, and software developers.
The above summary posted by Dave Pawson to a W3 list.
Standardization efforts akin to the U.S. Sec. 508 are expected under the
umbrella of CEN: The European Committee for Standardization
Applicable law in the U.K. is summarized at:
Janina Sajka, Director
Technology Research and
American Foundation for
the Blind (AFB)
Email: janina at afb.net Phone: (202) 408-8175
More information about the Accessibility