[Accessibility] EU Accessibility Directive
janina at rednote.net
Mon Jun 16 21:04:06 PDT 2003
The following will be of interest mainly for our working grou proposal
document. Should we also add the pointer to our web page?
The European Union Council Resolution of 6th February 2003 entitled "eAccessibility - Improving Access of People with Disabilities to the Knowledge
calls on member states and Commission to (amongst other things):
* promote a more coordinated approach by the key players involved in eAccessibility and in the application and development of technology, standards,
legislation, and education.
* promote common methodologies with regard to the use of the WAI (W3C Accessibility Initiative) guidelines.
* promote feedback on standardisation activities and their impact on "real life".
* consider the provision of an eAccessibility mark for goods and services which comply with relevant standards for eAccessibility.
* promote the aim that proposed Design for All curricula are developed by educational authorities.
* ensure that multimedia materials and the use of ICT in education do not create new barriers.
* ensure that eAccessibility becomes a regular part of all education programmes of vocational schools of any level, e.g. web masters, multimedia
authors, and software developers.
The above summary posted by Dave Pawson to a W3 list.
I've summarised what I think are the important aspects of this call.
However, if you would like to read the full document (only 3 pages), you
can download it in PDF format from
Janina Sajka, Director
Technology Research and Development
Governmental Relations Group
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
Email: janina at afb.net Phone: (202) 408-8175
More information about the Accessibility