[Accessibility] Anouncing Free Standards WG,Wednesday, 26 February

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Mar 21 05:30:24 PST 2003

Colleagues:

I have endeavored to incorporate my concerns regarding our mission
statement below. In fact, I have tried to wrap them around Sharon's draft
inasmuch as I believe they merely provide a meta context for our core work
which her draft clearly expresses, in my view.

To review, my concern is that our credibility is impaired if we do not
review the entire Linux applications stack, from boot through desktop, in
devising our accessibility standards recommendations. On the other hand,
we are limited by our organizational sponsorship as to the standards we
can propose.

My attempt to resolve this is to say, as plainly as possible, that we will
look at the entire stack, devise standards which are in scope for us, and
provide recommendations to others, as appropriate, when when some pieces
are out of our scope.

Again, I feel this is essential. If we don't do this, we will surely fall
victim to considerable charges of shortsightedness.

Herewith, then my redraft, for our consideration in today's meeting ...

Consider the full software stack (from bios and boot loader to the console and desktop) in order to:

1.)	Develop and promote a set of accessibility standards within the LSB and with the goals of improving overall
accessibility, fostering interoperability, and binary compatibility for assistive technologies on Open Source LSB
platforms.

2.)	Provide a mechanism for LSB application accessibility certification.

These behavior standards will consist of measurable API and ABI
components which will provide comprehensive, consistent, services
for use by assistive technologies products. They will also define
the standards for delivery of accessibility information and services
by applications and UI toolkits.

In addition, provide information and recommendations to other, non-LSB entities regarding accessibility requirements in
the Linux software stack, as appropriate.