[Accessibility] Fwd: Gnome and KDE viewpoint on the future of the X Window System]

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Wed Mar 26 05:24:55 PST 2003

Hi Janina:

The email you forwarded is fallout from an apparently imminent fork in
the XFree86 server, lots of history and politics there.  Interestingly,
the "XFIXES" extension which Keith Packard wrote and committed to
XFree86 just before the feature freeze for XFree 4.3, and which
precipitated the current crisis, was developed partly in support of
accessibility needs.  Keith very graciously credited me with a thank you
in the extension docs, which may embroil me in this a bit (!) but really
I just provided feedback on the APIs.

However it does point out that there are a number of areas where
accessibility needs changes/additional features from X, and I hope that
whatever happens we end up with a server that allows timely delivery of
features that are critical to accessibility support.

By the way, did you see the announcement about a linux kernel patch that
allows interception and injection of keyboard events?  I will try to
forward it to this list; it could potentially be very important to us as
you can probably imagine.

- Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill.haneman at sun.com>