[Accessibility] Draft Goals

Doug Beattie dbb at linkexplorer.com
Wed Mar 26 12:32:52 PST 2003

As I read through these goals it is very evident that we intend to
address the needs for certifying applications. I would like people
to know we have the same intentions of producing standards against
which runtime environments can be certified.

I've added another item and done some word-smithing so the goals would
now read:

1.) Develop and promote a set of accessibility standards within the LSB
    with the goals of improving overall accessibility, and fostering
    interoperability and binary compatibility for assistive technologies
    on Open Source LSB platforms.

2.) Provide a mechanism for LSB runtime environment accessibility
    certification.

3.) Provide a mechanism for LSB application accessibility certification.

4.) Provide advice, information and recommendations to other, non-LSB
    entities regarding accessibility requirements in the full free and
    open software stack, as appropriate.

These behavioral standards will consist of measurable API and ABI
components which will provide comprehensive, consistent, services
for use by assistive technologies products. They will also define
the standards for delivery of accessibility information and services
by applications and UI toolkits.

Doug