[Accessibility] Draft Mission Statement

Sharon D Snider snidersd at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 27 08:50:47 PST 2003

I have taken Doug and Bill's recommendations and combined them as follows:

"Our mission is to develop and promote free and open accessibility
standards within the scope of the FSG/LSB activities and to make
recommendations with respect to the complete software stack as appropriate
to enable comprehensive universal access to computer systems, applications,
and services."

Sharon Snider
Linux Accessibility, and Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127

----- Forwarded by Sharon D Snider/Austin/IBM on 03/27/2003 10:38 AM -----

                      Bill Haneman
                      <bill.haneman at sun.com>            To:       Doug Beattie <dbb at linkexplorer.com>
                      Sent by:                          cc:       Janina Sajka <janina at afb.net>, accessibility at freestandards.org
                      accessibility-admin at freest        Subject:  Re: [Accessibility] Draft Mission Statement
                      andards.org

                      03/26/2003 02:52 PM

Perhaps we could phrase things this way:

"Our mission is to develop and promote free and open accessibility
standards and to make recommendations with respect to the complete
software stack as appropriate to enable comprehensive universal
access to computer systems, applications, and services."

That may sound a bit sweeping and grand... but I suppose that's
what we are proposing, after all :-)

-Bill

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 21:07, Doug Beattie wrote:
> Bill:
>
> This is why I miss you when you are not on the call. I believe now that
> we did talk about this last week and you may have set my mindset
> straight then.
>
> I was concerned today that we needed to make clear, to any first time
> viewer of our web site and our mission statement, what we meant by
> "as appropriate". I don't want to put _too_ many limits on what our
> mission is, but I felt the statement ended without a finished
> thought. Perhaps it's just the way I read it.
>
> We are desirous that others should be able to reference/use our
> specifications. They are free to do this, so long as they do not
> still call them the FSG's if they add to, delete from, or in anyway
> modify them.
>
> Comments?
>
> Doug
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:22:47PM +0000, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Hi Doug:
> >
> > A comment below...
> >
> > On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 20:21, Doug Beattie wrote:
> > > FWIW -
> > >
> > > I would like to see a little more clarification given to the end of
> > > the sentence following "as appropriate" to include a brief statement
> > > about being in scope of the FSG/LSB activities.
> >
> > I am not so sure I am eager for this.  While I agree that we don't want
> > to explicitly claim anything 'out of scope', the necessity of the
> > disclaimer is not obvious to me.  And, to the extent that we limit
> > ourselves explicitly to considering the FSG domain, might we reduce the
> > broader impact or relevance of our work?  We don't want to rule out the
> > possibility that our standards might be rolled up, someday, to a larger
> > standards body.
> >
> > -Bill
> >

> > > Doug

open accessibility standards and reccomendations, as appropriate.

Director
Relations Group