[Accessibility] Draft Goals

Sharon D Snider snidersd at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 27 08:52:21 PST 2003

These goals sound good to me.
Sharon Snider
Linux Accessibility, and Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127

                      Doug Beattie
                      <dbb at linkexplorer.com>            To:       Janina Sajka <janina at afb.net>
                      Sent by:                          cc:       accessibility at freestandards.org
                      accessibility-admin at freest        Subject:  Re: [Accessibility] Draft Goals
                      andards.org

                      03/26/2003 02:32 PM

As I read through these goals it is very evident that we intend to
address the needs for certifying applications. I would like people
to know we have the same intentions of producing standards against
which runtime environments can be certified.

I've added another item and done some word-smithing so the goals would
now read:

1.) Develop and promote a set of accessibility standards within the LSB
    with the goals of improving overall accessibility, and fostering
    interoperability and binary compatibility for assistive technologies
    on Open Source LSB platforms.

2.) Provide a mechanism for LSB runtime environment accessibility
    certification.

3.) Provide a mechanism for LSB application accessibility certification.

4.) Provide advice, information and recommendations to other, non-LSB
    entities regarding accessibility requirements in the full free and
    open software stack, as appropriate.

These behavioral standards will consist of measurable API and ABI
components which will provide comprehensive, consistent, services
for use by assistive technologies products. They will also define
the standards for delivery of accessibility information and services
by applications and UI toolkits.

Doug

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:44:36AM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> 1.)        Develop and promote a set of accessibility standards within
the LSB and with the goals of improving overall
> accessibility, fostering interoperability, and binary compatibility for
assistive technologies on Open Source LSB
> platforms.
>
> 2.)        Provide a mechanism for LSB application accessibility
certification.

> 3.)        Provide advice, information and recommendations to other,
non-LSB entities regarding accessibility requirements in
> the full free and open software stack, as appropriate.
>
> These behavior standards will consist of measurable API and ABI
> components which will provide comprehensive, consistent, services
> for use by assistive technologies products. They will also define
> the standards for delivery of accessibility information and services
> by applications and UI toolkits.
>

> --
>
>                                                Janina Sajka, Director
>                                                Technology Research and