[Accessibility] linuxbase.org Bobby V4.0.1 results

Sharon D Snider snidersd at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 31 08:50:44 PST 2003

Hi all,

Doug Beattie and I were discussing the groups Web site on Friday, which may
possibily be written in php similar to linuxbase.org. So, I ran a Bobby
V4.0.1 scan on the linuxbase.org site as a starting point for our Web site.
(For anyone not familar with Bobby go to
http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp for more information).

I ran the scan using US Section 508 guidelines, 2 link levels, following
links in the URL folder as options. The condensed version of the results
are as follows:

1. If style sheets are ignored or unsupported, are pages still readable and
usable?

2. If there are logical groupings of form controls, use FIELDSET with
LEGEND on each group. (2 instances)

3. If an image conveys important information beyond what is in its
alternative text, provide an extended description. (67 instances)

4. If you can't make a page accessible, construct an alternate accessible
version.

5. If a table has two or more rows or columns that serve as headers, use
structural markup to identify their hierarchy and relationship. (49
instances)

6. Make sure users can skip repetitive navigation links.

7. If this is a data table (not used for layout only), identify headers for
the table rows and columns. (20 instances)

8. If you use color to convey information, make sure the information is
also represented another way. (180 instances)

9. Make sure that labels of all form controls are properly placed.

10. Note: this item is not triggered by any specific feature on the Web
site, but is considered important. If a timed process is about to expire,
give the user notification and a chance to extend the timeout.

I believe the majority of these items can be corrected.

Regards,
Sharon Snider
Linux Accessibility, and Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127