[Accessibility] linuxbase.org Bobby V4.0.1 results

T. V. Raman tvraman at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 31 09:06:52 PST 2003

this is easier to fix by tracing down the php libs used --since  you
will probably need to fix things in one or two places.

In general most Open Source sites are pretty notorious with respect to
their failings regarding accessibility --the grand-daddy of them all,
SourceForge is a case in point.

    Sharon> Hi all,

    Sharon> Doug Beattie and I were discussing the groups Web site on
    Sharon> Friday, which may possibily be written in php similar to
    Sharon> linuxbase.org. So, I ran a Bobby V4.0.1 scan on the
    Sharon> linuxbase.org site as a starting point for our Web site.
    Sharon> (For anyone not familar with Bobby go to
    Sharon> http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp for
    Sharon> more information).

    Sharon> I ran the scan using US Section 508 guidelines, 2 link
    Sharon> levels, following links in the URL folder as options. The
    Sharon> condensed version of the results are as follows:

    Sharon> 1. If style sheets are ignored or unsupported, are pages
    Sharon> still readable and usable?

    Sharon> 2. If there are logical groupings of form controls, use
    Sharon> FIELDSET with LEGEND on each group. (2 instances)

    Sharon> 3. If an image conveys important information beyond what
    Sharon> is in its alternative text, provide an extended
    Sharon> description. (67 instances)

    Sharon> 4. If you can't make a page accessible, construct an
    Sharon> alternate accessible version.

    Sharon> 5. If a table has two or more rows or columns that serve
    Sharon> as headers, use structural markup to identify their
    Sharon> hierarchy and relationship. (49 instances)

    Sharon> 6. Make sure users can skip repetitive navigation links.

    Sharon> 7. If this is a data table (not used for layout only),
    Sharon> identify headers for the table rows and columns. (20
    Sharon> instances)

    Sharon> 8. If you use color to convey information, make sure the
    Sharon> information is also represented another way. (180
    Sharon> instances)

    Sharon> 9. Make sure that labels of all form controls are properly
    Sharon> placed.

    Sharon> 10. Note: this item is not triggered by any specific
    Sharon> feature on the Web site, but is considered important. If a
    Sharon> timed process is about to expire, give the user
    Sharon> notification and a chance to extend the timeout.

    Sharon> I believe the majority of these items can be corrected.

    Sharon> Regards, Sharon Snider Linux Accessibility, and
    Sharon> Information Development IBM Linux Technology Services
    Sharon> (512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127

Best Regards,
--raman
T. V. Raman:  PhD (Cornell University)
IBM Research: Human Language Technologies
Architect:    Conversational And Multimodal WWW Standards
Phone:        1 (408) 927 2608   T-Line 457-2608
Fax:        1 (408) 927 3012     Cell: 1 650 799 5724
Email:        tvraman at us.ibm.com
WWW:      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman
AIM:      TVRaman
PGP:          http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman.asc
Snail:        IBM Almaden Research Center,
              650 Harry Road
              San Jose 95120