[Accessibility] Draft meeting minutes for meeting of November 19.

Randall S Horwitz rhorwitz at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 20 09:03:48 PST 2003


Skipped content of type multipart/alternative-------------- next part --------------
Meeting minutes 11/19/2003

November 19, 2003 Draft Minutes Linux Accessibility workgroup

Doug Beattie
Jonathan Blanford
Bill Haneman
Randy Horwitz
Peter Korn
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Matthew Wilcox

Action item updates:
Update: Janina is still trying to chase down Greg V. He is in the midst of working on a grant, Janina will checkpoint in a week or so. Will email first, and then call.

Peter: 
1. Obtain infromation on Braille Com (spelling?) and send to group email list.
2. Send out list of all of the stake holders. People like Baum, for example.

Janina: Write up sample face to face meeting invite and post to group email list for comment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes from the Nov.12 meeting were accepted without further changes.

Press Release: 

The Press Release Draft iss out to most folks who wanted it. If you want one and have not gotten it, send Janina an email.

Discussion on year 2 items: 

Janina- Need to do now so we can make sure that the NSF will help us out monetarily for a face to face . There seems to be an interest from them. Good sign. Believes AT-SPI and shared IO could certainly benerfit.
Janina-Further, good to have support from non-corporatee entities.

Janina- when and where. May want to get an idea of time pretty soon

Randy-Are we looking for a general timeframe then?

Janina-Hopefully before the end of June, with a March to June window being best.

Bill-Any one remember the GUADEC? date

(Peter returns)

(Willy joins)

Peter-Recommends before or after CSUN in LA.

Janina-perfectly happy to do it then. Better for fundraising. Suspects NSF will put up a nice meeting for us.

Bill-feels strongly in favor of a dedicated time meeting. May add to costs.

Doug-What about Monday after CSUN

Peter-Also ATIA in January

Janina-I doubt we can get everything that needs to be done in time.

Janina-Where is GUADEC this year?

Jonathan-Norway.

Janina-Will it be ok to invite KDE folks to a GNOME event.

Peter-Doesn't believe so.

Jonathan-Probably not a problem

General Group Comment-Burn out stilll a factor follwing GUADEC.

Bill-Still thinks separate conference is the best.

Randy-Agrees.

Location:

Janina-Hawaii? NSF money should be ok.

Doug-Talked with Neil, he is  investigating lodging to get us better rates.

Doug-Hawaii-From Neil $40 a night for lodging. $300-800 round trip out there, depending on location.

when:

Janina- April open. May has two conferences. June pretty wide open.

Janina-Likes April.

Doug-If April August Linux World may be a good idea.

Janina-Shoot for April?

Jonathan-Out of town starting April 28 but the rest looks ok.

Doug-Purpose and goals for this meeting? This has to go in NSF write up

Who will be there:

Janina-Who do we need to bring? Want most bang for buck from NSF. Does this seem reasonable?

Doug-Is this within the (NSF) budget?

Janina-Believes so

Janina-We need to determine the topics

Doug-Travel budgets of companies?

Peter-Has to check.

Jonathan-Maybe. May be tough to sell management on Hawaii.

Doug-Maybe best to start with who else can go?

Peter-Michael Meeks

Gunnar-Believes we need to invite some one from Trolltech, especially if we are going to be talking AT-SPI.

Doug-Aaron Seigo from KDE may be a good idea.

Willy-Mario Lang from Debian.

Janina-Any one else dealt with small Prague company called Braille Com (spelling?). They've built another interface on Emacs.


Peter-Send info on this company to list?

Janina-Sure.

Peter-Peter to be given action item. (see above)

Doug-John Goldthwaite?
Janina-Definitely. We need John.

More individuals:

Janina-Do we need a strategy to start mining other folks to do work?

Randy-Not a bad idea.

Janina-Do we re-articulate things that might have engineering work opportunities? We want to work with folks?

Doug-How about we make our face to face a Brainstorming opportunity?

Janina-We have an action item to put together a statement helping folks to come and Brainstorm. Contact us if they are interested in doing a Brainstorming session?

Doug-Don't put in some one will pay for them or where. Those who want to input email back to Janina. Then we can look at the sincere ones?

Janina-Willl post to Accessibility list. Will give approximate dates.

Doug-Could be kickoff for getting year 2 and 3 stuff moving.

Agenda for face to face:

Janina-Agenda for this meeting. How will it go?

Peter-Not sure will have enough folks for formal plenaries.

Doug-If we get enough of the right folks to expand topics.

Bill- We need to get as much done as we can on year 1 items.

Janina-Agrees. Want stuff at least rolling.
bill-Road map on year 2 items also.

bill-First is more concrete, second will be brainstorming.

Janina-Folks for brainstorming session may not have to be at meeting as long.

Randy-Could save on lodging for some, and thus slim budgets.

Doug-First Brainstorming and then the year 1 folks can stay longer.

Janina-Will be able to have a meeting. May be easier to start Brainstorming and work backwards.

Bill-Brainstorming could expand to fill all available time. Want concrete finalization of year 1 items. Break the day up between the two.

Janina wants to see these two things happen at the end of this face to face:
1. Wants year one groups to really have made some progress. Can see that really moving forward
2. Year 2: Brainstorming on what kind of coarse grained things can be written. What do we want money for.

Randy-Makes sense, and can't we do some of these items in Parallel, or do we want the entire core group available for every single meeting?

Bill-Strictly parallel would break down. But might be able to break out.

Peter-Doesn't think so.

Bill-For instance the device io stuff could be taking place same time as discussion keyboard accessibility.

NSF Proposal:

Janina-Do we have list of things we need to address in the NSF "2-pager"

Doug-Listing specific meetings, Cost estimates. People and why. Initial list of attendees will be needed.

Other stake holders to invite: 

Peter- Baum, UToronto...  Will take action item to list all of the stake holders.

Bill-He thinks it is more important to have people who aren't already part of GNOME.

Janina-Only active folks currently is not good.

Peter-Most important are the toolkit folks. any large aps that are custom.

Bill-Is not sure about that. If some one is already doing that, how much do they get out of this?

Peter-They might contribute experiences as to how they did things.

Janina-We do need some folks who are implementing and doing this now.

Bill-General caution Does not want to be exclusive, but the more people involved the more difficult it will be to begin moving forward.

Doug-Touch on areas that could bennifit from Kernel folks like Allen Cox and Willy from Debian?

Willy-Mario knows more about general Accessibility.

What next:

Bill-Do we postpone year 2 discussions?

Janina-Need to start thinking about this now. The overall point is recruitment.

Janina-Do we start to think about year 2 in general?

Doug-That other year 1 work has gone to sub-committee. This more general. Sub-teams can req times on the agenda if needed.

Janina-These groups may need to be pinned down further.

Next up: Year 1 re-visited. and how to start organizing for year 2?


More information about the Accessibility mailing list