[Accessibility] FAQs for the Web site

Sharon D Snider snidersd at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 15 09:27:29 PDT 2003

Hi All,
We thought is might be a good idea to add a few FAQs to the Web site. Below
are 6 questions that should help get the FAQs started. I have left the last
3 answers, to questions 4-6, for others in our group to answer. If you have
other ideas or would like to add or remove any FAQs, etc. lets discuss it
at todays meeting.
Thanks,
Sharon Snider
Linux Accessibility
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127

1. What  does the term  "accessible application development" mean?
 It means developing software that can be used by as many people as
 possible, including individuals with disabilities. By following simple
 criteria in software design, such as the provision of keyboard navigation
 and adherence to user-specified system appearance settings you can reduce
 or eliminate barriers for many users, including users who may not identify
 themselves as 'disabled'.

 2. How do I know the guidelines to follow?
 Guidelines are available through several different sources and may vary
 depending upon the application programming language or Web site being
 developed. Information on guidelines and Section 508 compliance can be
 found at http://www.access-board.gov/508.htm. Also, see the Additional
 Resource links for more information.

 3. Why should I develop accessible applications?
 Because accessibility is important to everyone. Information technology has
 provided many benefits to society, but individuals with disabilities can
 not fully participate when the technology does not meet their needs. In
 addition, compliance with worldwide regulations and standards must be
 considered.

 4. Are there any automated tools available for testing accessibility?

 5. Does it make a difference which software development tools I use?

 6. Are some programming languages more accessible then others?