[Accessibility] Draft Minutes for October 15, 2003

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Mon Oct 20 12:14:36 PDT 2003


Meeting minutes 10/15/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by teleconference on
Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2003, at 18:00 UTC

Attending:
Doug Beattie
Jonathan Blanford
John Goldthwaite
Bill Haneman
Randy Horwitz
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Sharon Snider
Allen Wilson

Action Items:
Work on getting quotes approved.
Final press release.

Minutes for last week approved with changes: make change noted in emails.

AccessX intellectual property, Gregg Vanderheiden said a license for Linux
is in the works with the U. of Wisconsin=92s attorney.  We will review
Wisconsin=92s draft and negotiate to get a change of terms to match the GPL.
They have copyright for =93Sticky keys=94, Slowkeys, etc. We would like to =
use
these names since they are widely used in
But we can always change the names for these if we have to and move on.

Janina talked to Mario and he will join the I/O working group, possibly
chair it.
Nucleus to handle Braille and speech is moving forward.  Need to look at
Input.

Press release- we agreed that draft will come from Scott.  It is getting
late for getting quotes from the large corporations. Janina talked to Marney
Beard and Peter Korn at Sun.

Gunnar had some discussion on Promo and Access mailing lists from KDE.  Each
group will develop a quote.

Bill- can try to get one from the Gnome Foundation.
IBM- Sharon will talk to Rich Schwerdtfeger about a quote.

Sharon started a set of FAQ=92s circulating this morning.
Bill should have one on why standards are important to accessibility.
Doug- some of the other
Bill =96 too early to talk about which toolkits are more accessible,

Doug- Java is not part of LSB so we can=92t require it as part of a standar=
d.
Bill- we don=92t want to endorse it as part of the standard but
Doug- we will have a problem certifying Java applications since its outside
our spec.
Bill =96 we can say whether it conforms to the standard but not certify it.
G  - could only say specific application worked with a particular virtual
machine

Doug =96 were talking about
Need to stay out of the politics of Section 508.  May be hard to put
together an FAQ about 508.
Janina  - can we say that support for accessibility in the operating
environments is relatively new.
Allen- an FAQ about the workgroup and how it is going to work is more
appropriate that about the outcome.  What process will be followed.  They
might be suspicious if we provide answers about outcome.
Bill- agrees with Allen, should table these for the time being other than
#2.
Sharon- this is just to get the ball rolling.

Suggested FAQ=92s:
Who are the participants?
What is the project doing?
Why are they doing it?
What will be the expected outcome?
Who will it benefit?
How you can get involved?
I don=92t see my disability issue covered in the project, how do I provide
comments to the project?

Reviewed website-
Need to check the links; Sharon checked all those that she created.
Should we turn off the ones that don=92t lead anywhere?  Don=92t have any
Archive, Sections, News.
News submissions go to Sharon so that it is moderated.  Will check to make
sure that=92s correct and whether there is an expiration date after which it
goes to the archive.

Accessibility =96 its not bad but since we=92re a standards organization we=
 may
want to a bit further.  Need to have html documents for each PDF.  Janina
ran our sites on the W3C validator and there were a fair number of errors.

Need to have an accessibility statement and an address for people to submit
accessibility problem.   This could lead to a page that says the page is
under construction but we would appreciate their comments and we would like
them to report problems that were not found by the W3C validator.  Since
this is being generated by php it would be good so they could work on a
patch.
Randy- put notice but don=92t spin it too negatively.

We=92re beginning to get I/O working committee moving.
Earl is interested in the Keyboard working committee
What should the working committees be asked to do =96 schedules, task list
Is there a process that other LSG working group use?

Group leader take responsibility for recruiting the group.  Document current
standards and best practices.  The main group puts its information into a
database which generates the documents.  This is under CVS control.  Sharon
will check with George to see how it works.
Janina- need to do an accessibility audit of the process.  Could invite
Stewart or George to explain the process at a meeting.  We need to have all
the working area leaders on the meeting so we need to wait until we have
them all.
Janina will work on recruiting the leaders.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, Oct. 22 at 18:00 UTC



John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org
-------------- next part --------------
Meeting minutes 10/15/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by teleconference on =
Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2003, at 18:00 UTC

Attending: =

Doug Beattie
Jonathan Blanford
John Goldthwaite
Bill Haneman
Randy Horwitz
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Sharon Snider
Allen Wilson

Action Items:


Minutes for last week approved with changes: make change noted in emails. =


AccessX intellectual property, Gregg Vanderheiden said a license for Linux =
is in the works with the U. of Wisconsin's attorney.  We will review Wiscon=
sin's draft and negotiate to get a change of terms to match the GPL.  They =
have copyright for "Sticky keys", Slowkeys, etc. We would like to use these=
 names since they are widely used in
But we can always change the names for these if we have to and move on.

Janina talked to Mario and he will join the I/O working group, possibly cha=
ir it.
Nucleus to handle Braille and speech is moving forward.  Need to look at In=
put.

Press release- we agreed that draft will come from Scott.  It is getting la=
te for getting quotes from the large corporations. Janina talked to Marney =
Beard and Peter Korn at Sun. =


Gunnar had some discussion on Promo and Access mailing lists from KDE.  Eac=
h group will develop a quote.

Bill- can try to get one from the Gnome Foundation.  =

IBM- Sharon will talk to Rich Schwerdtfeger about a quote.

Sharon started a set of FAQ's circulating this morning.  		=

Bill should have one on why standards are important to accessibility.
Doug- some of the other
Bill - too early to talk about which toolkits are more accessible, =


Doug- Java is not part of LSB so we can't require it as part of a standard.
Bill- we don't want to endorse it as part of the standard but
Doug- we will have a problem certifying Java applications since its outside=
 our spec.
Bill - we can say whether it conforms to the standard but not certify it.
G  - could only say specific application worked with a particular virtual m=
achine

Doug - were talking about =

Need to stay out of the politics of Section 508.  May be hard to put togeth=
er an FAQ about 508.
Janina  - can we say that support for accessibility in the operating enviro=
nments is relatively new.  =

Allen- an FAQ about the workgroup and how it is going to work is more appro=
priate that about the outcome.  What process will be followed.  They might =
be suspicious if we provide answers about outcome.
Bill- agrees with Allen, should table these for the time being other than #=
2.  =

Sharon- this is just to get the ball rolling.   =


Suggested FAQ's:
Who are the participants?
What is the project doing?
Why are they doing it?
What will be the expected outcome?
Who will it benefit?
How you can get involved?
I don't see my disability issue covered in the project, how do I provide co=
mments to the project?

Reviewed website- =

Need to check the links; Sharon checked all those that she created.  =

Should we turn off the ones that don't lead anywhere?  Don't have any Archi=
ve, Sections, News.
News submissions go to Sharon so that it is moderated.  Will check to make =
sure that's correct and whether there is an expiration date after which it =
goes to the archive.

Accessibility - its not bad but since we're a standards organization we may=
 want to a bit further.  Need to have html documents for each PDF.  Janina =
ran our sites on the W3C validator and there were a fair number of errors.  =


Need to have an accessibility statement and an address for people to submit=
 accessibility problem.   This could lead to a page that says the page is u=
nder construction but we would appreciate their comments and we would like =
them to report problems that were not found by the W3C validator.  Since th=
is is being generated by php it would be good so they could work on a patch.
Randy- put notice but don't spin it too negatively.  =


We're beginning to get I/O working committee moving.
Earl is interested in the Keyboard working committee
What should the working committees be asked to do - schedules, task list
Is there a process that other LSG working group use?

Group leader take responsibility for recruiting the group.  Document curren=
t standards and best practices.  The main group puts its information into a=
 database which generates the documents.  This is under CVS control.  Sharo=
n will check with George to see how it works.
Janina- need to do an accessibility audit of the process.  Could invite Ste=
wart or George to explain the process at a meeting.  We need to have all th=
e working area leaders on the meeting so we need to wait until we have them=
 all.
Janina will work on recruiting the leaders.




Our next meeting is Wednesday, Oct. 22 at 18:00 UTC




More information about the Accessibility mailing list