[Accessibility] Draft Minutes for October 15, 2003

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Mon Oct 20 13:58:06 PDT 2003

A minor nit:
> AccessX intellectual property, Gregg Vanderheiden said a license for Linux
> is in the works with the U. of Wisconsin’s attorney.  We will review
> Wisconsin’s draft and negotiate to get a change of terms to match the GPL.
> They have copyright for “Sticky keys”, Slowkeys, etc. We would like to use
> these names since they are widely used in

This wouldn't be copyright (which doesn't cover such 'names' and
'terms'); these would be trademarks in all likelihood.  There's a small
chance that UW has patents on some of the techniques as well (but in
that case, X has presumably already had to deal with this).  Note that
the XKB extension already uses the names 'AccessX', 'SlowKeys',
'StickyKeys', etc.  The X license is GPL-compatible, and it would seem
to me that we already should be able to expose these names to users
under the terms of the X license.  Is it possible that x.org didn't
clarify the license terms in the XKB extension?  That would be odd

- Bill