[Accessibility] 09/03/03 Accessibility Meeting Minutes
dbb at linkexplorer.com
Wed Sep 3 15:06:48 PDT 2003
I am sending the following on behalf of John. We hope be next week he
will have an address that allows him to post directly. :-)
Meeting minutes 9/3/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by teleconference
on Wednesday, Sept. 3, 2003, at 2:00 PM U.S. Eastern Time.
Randy Horowitz, IBM
3. Xkb - Janina will look at Bill's xkb proposal and see if we can reuse it.
4. Text-only accessible booting - Janina with Matthew Wilcox, Kirk
5. Guidelines for Sys admins - Janina with help from Doug
7. Text-to-speech - Janina will talk to Marc Mulcahy
8. V2 - Janina
9. Sys Admin - Janina
10. Installation - Janina
11. Braille - Janina has written to Mario.
12. Structured navigation - Janina
2. AT device handling
Jonathan & Bill-
1. AT-SPI - work with Peter Korn on this.
6. Service API Support for Magnification - Jonathan will talk to Peter.
- Language suggestions to take emphasis off Assistive Tech in section A & B
13. Voice I/O
- Check to see if Access utilities are patented by U. Wisconsin.
Minutes for last week approved.
Gunnar gave a summary of KDE conference. KDE Accessibility project
documented AT-SPI. Trolltech is extending Access architecture. Two
talks; Overview of accessibility and what is currently available. A
second talk was on ATK and AT architecture.
Review of Janina's edits
1. AT-SPI - accepted without changes
2. AT device Shared I/O - Ask Mario Lang and Kirk Reiser to handle this
item; Janina will contact them and ask them to review this.
Fix spelling errors: simultaneous and queue
3. Keyboard accessibility - okay as is. XKB adopted as part of xfree86.
Need to know that these are open standards. Check to see if Access
utilities are patented by U. Wisconsin.
4. Text boot - okay as is.
5. Guidelines for sys admins - further clarification
a. Sys admin tools must be accessible, keep them accessible as they
become more sophisticated
b. Tools which assist in configuration of accessibility features -
sysadmin doesn't have to be as knowledgeable about accessibility.
Users can easily adjust feature for themselves as their needs change
6. Magnification - okay after deleting notes from last weeks minutes
(first two paragraphs). Request that SUN take the lead on
7. Text to Speech - drop "for itself", rewrite last line. KDE has
text to speech daemon in development which would benefit from
standardization. There is a fair amount available from Festvox
at CMU for creation of voice. Need tools that make it easier for
less technically-oriented user to create voices.
More information about the Accessibility