[Accessibility] AT Device Shared I/O

Sharon D Snider snidersd at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 8 08:40:58 PDT 2003

Hi Janina and Mario, below are my editing suggestions that incorporate
Mario's comments.

 2.) AT Device Shared I/O

AT device shared I/O would make it possible for devices that are commonly
used by persons with disabilities to operate smoothly with several client
applications simultaneously.

In some circumstances it is necessary to support simultaneous
access for different client applications. For example, allowing a
software-based speech synthesizer to speak while a multi-media
stream is playing, rather than queueing its messages to play after
the stream concludes. In addition, it may also be necessary to
have messages queue or supress until a particular window or console has
focus.

We need to adopt or develop libraries that allow client applications to
share
these I/O devices. Shared access to accessibility related devices,
such as Braille displays, reduces the cost of ownership and improves
the user experience.

These libraries should offer a generic high-level abstraction of
the underlying device to allow client applications, and to use the
libraries independent
of the actual hardware in use.  This simplifies the development of
accessibility related software by sharing commonly used code such as
low-level
driver implementations in these libraries.

Sharon Snider
Linux Accessibility, and Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127