[Accessibility] Item 1: AT-SPI (Much Revised)

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Mon Sep 8 09:30:57 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 16:25, Sharon D Snider wrote:

> Hi Janina, I just made a few minor changes...
>
> 1.)AT-SPI
>
> The Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (AT-SPI) was developed
> for the GNOME2 desktop and is in the process of being adopted by KDE.

Potential confusion/inaccuracy here; KDE's Qt toolkit developers have
announced that they are adopting 'ATK' which is "bridged" to AT-SPI.
However for our purposes the above wording is probably OK.

The next sentence should probably be reworded:

[begin revision]

"AT-SPI is toolkit-neutral and support already exists for a wide variety
of languages and toolkits.  For instance, AT-SPI is currently compatible
with and supported by GTK+ 2, Java/Swing, the Mozilla suite, and
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org.  Support via reuse of the related "ATK"
interface in version 4 of KDE's Qt toolkit has been announced by
TrollTech.

AT-SPI allows assistive technologies access to these applications, and
> expose the internals of these applications to provide automation, so tools
> such as screen readers, magnifiers, or even scripting interfaces can query
> and interact with the graphical user interface (GUI) controls."

[end revision]

> AT-SPI facilitates access for individuals who cannot use the standard GUI.
> It enables developers (or a third party) to build applications that are, or
> can be made accessible. The AT-SPI enables developers and distributions to
> meet the accessibility requirements of many individual and corporate
> customers.
>
> AT-SPI is a finished product that we propose to adopt.

I don't know if we should say 'finished product', let's say "existing
API"

- Bill