[Accessibility] Re: 102 (a), revision to 'Statement of problem'

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Mon Sep 8 12:47:55 PDT 2003

Here's another attempt:  I am trying to respond to some input from
Janina on this while still pointing out the aspects of accessibility
that are separate from "assistive technologies" as such.

=====================

(a.) A general description of the current problem.

People with disabilities may be excluded from participating in the
benefits that technology provides because their needs are rarely
included in the software design process, and there is a lack of
appropriate technological accommodation.

However, it has been proven that adherence to some simple design
criteria, such as provision of keyboard navigation of all features and
adherence to user-specified system appearance settings can reduce or
eliminate these barriers for many users, including users who may not
identify themselves as 'disabled'.  It is further known that
properly designed assistive technologies (AT) are capable of delivering
unparalleled benefits to users with more severe disabilities
who usually have no other viable alternative.

Assistive technologies can: