[Accessibility] AT Device Shared I/O

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Wed Sep 10 03:20:30 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 20:45, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Disadvantage???
>
> Some would call that an advantage.

It's a major disadvantage in a library if you wish to standardize on it,
and no alternate implementations with other licenses exist.  GPL
libraries are the ones that are 'viral' to anything linking to them, and
thus they would not be suitable candidates for standardization.

The current legal thinking appears (to my non-expert ears) to be that
GPL libraries on a platform are OK under certain circumstances provided
they use standard APIs which are also available in non-GPL form.  Most
vendors seem to want to bundle both GPL and non-GPL versions with their
platform in this case.

This brltty situation has already caused some issues with other braille
packages and is something we'd like to see changed for that reason; it
limits the usefulness of brltty.

I do think we need to keep these things in mind insofar as we make
reference to existing implementations of APIs which we consider for
adoption.

- Bill