[Accessibility] AT Device Shared I/O

Doug Beattie dbb at linkexplorer.com
Wed Sep 10 07:33:30 PDT 2003

Bill:

Re:

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:20:30AM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 20:45, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > Disadvantage???
> >
> > Some would call that an advantage.
>
> It's a major disadvantage in a library if you wish to standardize on it,
> and no alternate implementations with other licenses exist.  GPL
> libraries are the ones that are 'viral' to anything linking to them, and
> thus they would not be suitable candidates for standardization.
>
> The current legal thinking appears (to my non-expert ears) to be that
> GPL libraries on a platform are OK under certain circumstances provided
> they use standard APIs which are also available in non-GPL form.  Most
> vendors seem to want to bundle both GPL and non-GPL versions with their
> platform in this case.
>
> This brltty situation has already caused some issues with other braille
> packages and is something we'd like to see changed for that reason; it
> limits the usefulness of brltty.
>
> I do think we need to keep these things in mind insofar as we make
> reference to existing implementations of APIs which we consider for
> adoption.
>
> - Bill

This is a good point you raise on the licensing of standards libraries.
I am going to also pass this along to the folks doing the general LSB
work. They too should be thinking about this as well as all groups so
we allow both commercial as well as non-commercial to build on what
the standards provide without worry of either losing IP rights or
having to deal with/provide software that works with proprietary libs.
Both sides need to be watched out for.

Doug
dbb at linkexplorer.com