[Accessibility] For today's call--Sec1a

Matthew Wilcox willy at fc.hp.com
Wed Sep 10 11:15:22 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:46:24PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Far too often people with disabilities are excluded from participation
> in the benefits that technology provides in society today. Though it
> may be unintentional, this exclusion remains far too common because the
> needs of users who are persons with disabilities

"users who are persons with disabilities" sounds clumsy to me.  How
about simply "users with disabilities"?

> are rarely factored appropriately (if at all) in the design process.

I think we need a preposition with "factored", like "factored in",
but I don't see a nice way to word it.  How about replacing it with
"considered" instead?

> Consequently, many
> of today's technology products and services remain inaccessible to,
> or only marginally usable by persons with disabilities. However, it has
> also been widely demonstrated that technology can enhance the lives of
> persons with disabilities profoundly.

Dangling adverb, how about "... that technology can profoundly enhance
the lives ...".

> A properly designed technology
> tool is often a disabled person's best choice for active participation
> in society--whether at home, at work or at play.

You went out of your way to avoid saying "disabled person" a couple of
times earlier -- do you want to avoid it here too?

> *    enable individuals who are blind or visually impaired to
>      read online text. Often user interfaces programmatically
>      prevent or severely encumber the users ability to read and
>      traverse the screen by supporting only iconic and mouse
>      driven user interfaces.

I don't think "iconic" reads very well here... how about bringing back
an acronym from the late 80s, "WIMP" (Windows, Icons, Menus & Pointer)
to replace "iconic and mouse driven".

--
It's always legal to use Linux (TM) systems
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html