[Accessibility] Draft minutes for Sept 10, 2003 Accessibility conf. Call

john goldthwaite jgoldthwaite at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 12:38:44 PDT 2003


Janina, your discussion about accessible admin
documentation and how it allows people with
disabilities to pursue a career in computing is one of
the best argument for section 9.  I caught some of it,
you might want to use it as an introduction to that
section.

Meeting minutes 9/3/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held
by teleconference on Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2003, at
18:00 UTC

Attending: 
Doug Beattie, Free Standards Board
John Goldthwaite, Georgia Tech, Center for Assistive
Technology & Environmental access
Randy Horowitz, IBM
Janina Sajka, National Foundation for the Blind 
Gunnar Schmidt, KDE
Sharon Snider, IBM 
Matthew Wilcox, HP, Linux kernel developer group
Alan Wilson, IBM

Action Items:
Janina-  
Final Edit and post to list

John-
- Check to see if Access utilities are patented by U.
Wisconsin.


Minutes for last week approved.

Bill and Janina rewrote section 1A to make it more
generic so that it covers both AT and built in
accessibility features.  Section 1A was read / no
objections.

Reviewed items from section B:
1	AT-SPI  / no objections
2	AT Device Shared I/O /  no objections
3	Keyboard Accessibility / no objections
4	Text-only accessible booting /  no objections
5	Accessible Feature Configuration  ( spelling for
their ) /  no objections
6	Magnification  ( change 1.2% to 1.2x ) /  no
objections
7	Text To Speech 
After comments from Bill Haneman and disussion, we
removed the speech creation tool as being out of
scope.   /  no objections

8	Alternative Interface Access Protocol 
Expand first instance of URC to Universal Remote
Console

Change 
‘A particular benefit of this technology is the XML
standard whereby two devices can negotiate’ 
to 
‘The objective of the standard is to allow two devices
to negotiate’

9	Guidelines for System Administrators

Linux currently has the most accessible documentation
of any operating system.  An individual with a
disability can become very proficient at
administration and make a good career as a system
adminstrator.  We wish to insure that as the Linux
environment becomes increasingly accessible, that it
remains the most accessible and inclusive operating
system.

2nd paragraph is too much about end users and not
administrators.  Need to stick with the tools that
administrators use.  Focus on what will help
administrators do their job.

10	Installation 
11	Braille
No one has suggested anything that we need for Braille
beyond the items we have covered in item 2 for I/O
devices.  Main problem relates to multiple language
but this is not handled well by unicode.  The problem
is in line language declaration rather than braille. 
We will drop this item.  We are committed to having
braille support but it is covered by the AT-SPI.
 
We will put off Structured Navigation and Voice I/O
topics for topics to be addressed in the future but
not include them in 102 B.  

Thanks from Janina for all the good work.  We’ve had
some very good and productive discussions.  We not
only have our 102 proposal but material we can use for
funding proposals.

Please review your contact information in the
participants document that Doug sent out 2 weeks ago. 
If you need approval from supervisors, please check on
that.  

Janina will send the participants document to the
group.  Please verify your information and return it
with your vote on the proposal.  Please vote by the
end of business day Friday.   

Our next meeting is Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 18:00 UTC





__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
-------------- next part --------------
Meeting minutes 9/3/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by teleconference on 
Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2003, at 18:00 UTC

Attending: 
Doug Beattie, Free Standards Board
John Goldthwaite, Georgia Tech, Center for Assistive Technology & Environmental 
access
Randy Horowitz, IBM
Janina Sajka, National Foundation for the Blind 
Gunnar Schmidt, KDE
Sharon Snider, IBM 
Matthew Wilcox, HP, Linux kernel developer group
Alan Wilson, IBM

Action Items:
Janina-  
Final Edit and post to list

John-
- Check to see if Access utilities are patented by U. Wisconsin.


Minutes for last week approved.

Bill and Janina rewrote section 1A to make it more generic so that it covers both AT and 
built in accessibility features.  Section 1A was read / no objections.

Reviewed items from section B:
1	AT-SPI  / no objections
2	AT Device Shared I/O /  no objections
3	Keyboard Accessibility / no objections
4	Text-only accessible booting /  no objections
5	Accessible Feature Configuration  ( spelling for their ) /  no objections
6	Magnification  ( change 1.2% to 1.2x ) /  no objections
7	Text To Speech 
After comments from Bill Haneman and disussion, we removed the speech 
creation tool as being out of scope.   /  no objections

8	Alternative Interface Access Protocol 
Expand first instance of URC to Universal Remote Console

Change 
'A particular benefit of this technology is the XML standard whereby two 
devices can negotiate' to 
'The objective of the standard is to allow two devices to negotiate'

9	Guidelines for System Administrators

Linux currently has the most accessible documentation of any operating system.  
An individual with a disability can become very proficient at administration and 
make a good career as a system adminstrator.  We wish to insure that as the Linux 
environment becomes increasingly accessible, that it remains the most accessible 
and inclusive operating system.

2nd paragraph is too much about end users and not administrators.  Need to stick 
with the tools that administrators use.  Focus on what will help administrators do 
their job.

10	Installation 
11	Braille
No one has suggested anything that we need for Braille beyond the items we have 
covered in item 2 for I/O devices.  Main problem relates to multiple language but 
this is not handled well by unicode.  The problem is in line language declaration 
rather than braille.  We will drop this item.  We are committed to having braille 
support but it is covered by the AT-SPI.
 
We will put off Structured Navigation and Voice I/O topics for topics to be addressed in 
the future but not include them in 102 B.  

Thanks from Janina for all the good work.  We've had some very good and productive 
discussions.  We not only have our 102 proposal but material we can use for funding 
proposals.

Please review your contact information in the participants document that Doug sent out 2 
weeks ago.  If you need approval from supervisors, please check on that.  

Janina will send the participants document to the group.  Please verify your information 
and return it with your vote on the proposal.  Please vote by the end of business day 
Friday.   

Our next meeting is Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 18:00 UTC




More information about the Accessibility mailing list