[Accessibility] For today's call: Sec2b

Allen Wilson wilsona at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 11 12:11:50 PDT 2003

Thanks, Doug, for the comments.

 What I was trying to say in the last sentence is that the administrative
commands, tools, and documentation should have the same level of
accessibility support that is available in applications used by a more
general user population.  One can image that the developer of a system tool
might not give the same level of attention to accessibility, given the
relatively small number of admins who use the tool, as the developer of a
more general application, such as a word processor.   I struggled with the
wording trying to convey the idea that admin and support staff should not
be at a disadvantage when compared to a wider user population.  So I think
the change to

"available to any administrator who needs them".

is not what I'm trying to say.  Maybe

"available to all the system users who need them."  is better?

 Again, the idea was to ensure that admin tools, commands, documentation
provide access comparable to application with a larger audience.

Thanks.

Regards,

Allen K. Wilson
IBM Accessibility Center
Telephone:       512 838-7872   T/L 678-7872
FAX:                 512 838-0330   T/L 678-0330
Internet:  wilsona at us.ibm.com

                      Doug Beattie
                      <dbb at linkexplorer.com>            To:       Allen Wilson/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
                      Sent by:                          cc:       Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net>, accessibility at freestandards.org,
                      accessibility-admin at freest         accessibility-admin at freestandards.org
                      andards.org                       Subject:  Re: [Accessibility] For today's call: Sec2b

                      09/11/2003 12:47 PM

Sorry, but I had a spelling error on the word administrator below.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:44:05AM -0600, Doug Beattie wrote:
> Allen:
>
> I like your rewrite of the last 2 paragraphs into the one you have
> below.
>
> I would only make one minor change.
>
> In the last sentence, change "available to any user who needs them" to
> "available to any adminstrator who needs them".
 "available to any administrator who needs them".

> Just a thought.
>
> I'd be satisfied with this for #9.
>
> Doug
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:48:21AM -0500, Allen Wilson wrote:
> >

> > Greetings all,
> >
> > 9 of Sec2b, Guidelines for System Administrators, seems to have at
least
> > two different roles included, system and application administration and
> > user technical support.  The tools and techniques used in each role is
> > different.  As an example, the system administrator role might include
> > operating system setup and administration of the system's operating
system,
> > application setup and administration for applications such as Apache
HTTP

dbb at linkexplorer.com