[Accessibility] Draft Meeting minutes 9/24/03

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Sep 24 12:21:29 PDT 2003

Meeting minutes 9/24/03
A meeting of the Accessibility Working Group was held by teleconference on
Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2003, at 18:00 UTC

Attending:
Doug Beattie
Jonathan Blanford
John Goldthwaite
Bill Hanaman
Randy Horowitz
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Sharon Snider
Matthew Wilcox
Alan Wilson

Action Items:

John- Check on details of Trace IP on Access Utilities.
Willy- talk to Mario Lang and Kirk Reiser about shared I/O
Jonathan  will sumarize xdg project on shared i/o and send to Janina, Willy.

Earl Johnson and Peter Korn asked to be added to the list.  Earl would like
to work on xkb.

Minutes for last week approved with changes: make change noted in emails.
Change Doug’s affiliation from Free Standards Board to Free Standard Group.

FSG 102 proposal was accepted by the Free Standards Board.  Janina attended
board meeting by audioconference made the presentation and answered
questions.  The Board approved the proposal unanimously.

Marketing tools- press release for about Oct. 20 – Enterprise Linux in
Washington DC.  Scott McNeil will attend Enterprise Linux with Janina to
make announcement.  Please contribute quotes for the release if you wish:
why we’re doing it, what is the Linux WG about.

Doug recommended that Janina become Chairperson rather than Acting
chairperson.  We can have elections later as we move forward if needed.  No
objections were made to the change.

Testing and certification, verification:
Bill- certification is a big issue with legal ramifications.  If we make
standards, then others can work on developing products and discuss
certifications.  There many parts of verification, some can be automated but
many must be manual.  We can create a validation procedure.  This can turn
into something official with agreement from industry.  Need to make sure the
standards can be verified while we are developing.

Janina- Can we try to work on generic version?
Bill- not possible to create a generic standard.  Need to take all parts and
consider them independently. The characteristics of verification are going
to be different.  As we move toward functional standards, the more human
mediated testing will be needed.  We talked about specs from an ABI,
functional and a user point of view.  Usefulness of standards are governed
by whehter they can be verified.  Some will be verified by automated suite,
others by the presence of a library on the system.  Some will only be
verified by manual testing.
Doug – we can create a procedure document for companies to use during the
manual verification.  We need to find someone with expertise in this area to
lead this.
Janina- we need to expand the group to handle this area.
John – this could be an area that Charles Sheppard and Sharon Liskowski at
NIST might want to contribute toward.  There may be some overlap with the
‘paper tool’ that the Accessibility Forum staff developed for Section 508
conformance.

Janina- V2 meeting in Madison in two weeks and will be attending.  V2 has
written to recommendation for JTC1.   We need to work on each item and think
about how we would do the testing.  After we have done some, we may find
that a methodology for validation emerges.
Bill- can’t validate against a spec that doesn’t exist yet.  We don’t need
to create the validation exactly in parallel with the spec.
Doug- If you don’t have verification/validation method it takes longer for
the standard to be approved.
Bill- no automated tools for AT-SPI at this time.  They only do integration
tests.

Accessiblity paper tool-

Bill- Should we start with access-x and keyboard accessibility?  These may
not be the easiest to verify but we could get the started.
Jonathan- keyboard accessibility shouldn’t be too difficult so this would be
some ‘low hanging fruit’ for a first effort.
Bill – look at AT-SPI as well.  We could start both in parallel since not
everyone will want to work on both.  We can divide this up..
Janina- we need Bill Hanaman on both access-x and AT-SPI.
Bill- Earl Johnson has experience with access-x and xkb, not an engineer but
is a user who is knowledgable about what is needed for the user features.
Also someone from Trace may want to participate.
Janina- should we set up subgroups for each of these efforts- create mission
statement, then recruit workers.
Doug- set up work group leader rather than co-chairs.  A single point of
responsibility is preferred.
Janina- who should we ask to be the task leader for xkb?
Doug- team leaders should come from the core group.

Bill will lead the xkb group and invite Earl to join.

Bill- Of the projects we have slated for year one, we don’t have a clear
solution for the shared I/O project.
Janina has been thinking about this.  Kirk and Mario have been interested in
this.  Could Willy talk to them since is kernel related.  They want to
achieve in speech what they have in braille.
Bill- there are some questions on shared I/O.  We need to give clear use
cases so people know what we are talking about.  Example: Access to Braille
device in kernel space because it is needed at boot up.  Okay to have one
device as long it is not shared, serial single user case only.  We want
complex, rich access to shared resources when users are logged in but it
shared access is not needed until var mounted devices are provided.
Janina- example of speakup interferring with Gnopericus when using the
keyboard; speakup currently has lower level access than Gnopernicus which is
using x.
Jonathan- also mainstream problems with multiple programs trying to use the
sound card.
Xdg – list people are trying to come up with a hardware sharing protocol,
now is a good time to get in touch with them.  Jonathan will sumarize and
send to Janina.
Alsa- multiplexing sound device.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, Oct. 1 at 18:00 UTC

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Enivronmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org