[Accessibility] Doc 1 of 4: Today's meeting

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 21 12:22:45 PDT 2004

Hi
I have some inline comments.  I would clip to shorten, but I would guess
it's best to keep the context.

- Bill

Janina Sajka wrote:

>* __    Summary of one page or less indicating the objectives of the
>project;
>
>The Free Standards Group (FSG), Accessibility Workgroup, wishes to convene a face-to-face meeting in

{REVISION}
early 2005. At this meeting, invited experts will have in-depth face-to-face discussions to further ongoing standardization
efforts in support of the comprehensive access to information and accessible user interfaces for persons with disabilities.

> The Workgroup's focus is on computing platforms that adopt free and
> open standards, such as Linux, BSD, AIX, MacOSX, and Solaris. At this
> time, the FSG Accessibility Workgroup would like to request funding in
> the amount of $35,000. from the National Science Foundation (NSF) in
> support of this meeting. A face-to-face conference is needed for the
> Workgroup's continued work, and is the most appropriate mechanism to:
>

>      *   Finalize and propose industry wide accessibility standards where FSG work has already begun;

how about:
"Finalize proposals for industry wide accessibility standards where FSG
work has already begun;"

>      *   Develop a Road Map for additional open source technologies and standards to support comprehensive accessibility on open platforms;
>
>      *   Reach consensus on a common layer of accessibility support that can be deployed and maintained on multiple platforms and can serve as the basis for future collaborative research to provide multiple, cost effective, interoperable, heterogenous and accessible products.
>
>Achieving standards to support comprehensive accessibility in the free and open source environment will require participation among developer communities, marketers of free and open source technologies, and user communities. The very diverse and unstructured nature of these groups has tended to prevent adequate contact and communication among them so that excellent accessibility for some users exists in certain contexts, while other contexts remain unaddressed and inaccessible. The objectives of our international conference, therefore, are:
>
>      *   achieve consensus on those standards which can be adopted to support accessibility in the near term;
>
>      *   Agree on engineering work which must yet be performed in order to support all persons with disabilities;

add:

    * Identify areas where further targeted research is required before
engineering solutions can be put forward;

>      *   Provide structured and sustainable working mechanisms to accomplish both.
>
>We plan to invite between 20 and 30 individuals from industry, developer communities, research and educational institutions, and persons with disabilities. We need to ensure broad participation across all sectors of these groups worldwide, and we need, particularly, to engage participants who would otherwise not become involved in this process.
>
>* __    Statement of the need for such a gathering and a list of topics;
>
>The very diverse and unstructured nature of
>stakeholder constituencies which must agree to create a common
>layer of accessibility support on open platforms has tended to
>prevent the contact and communication needed to achieve such a
>consensus.

Is the restatement necessary here?

>There simply has not been an industry forum to support such
>an effort--until now. The diverse nature of the technology that
>constitutes today's open platform has also made it very difficult
>to achieve a comprehensive and cohesive layer of accessibility
>support. The heterogeneous nature of toolkits, component inter
>process communication models, libraries, and applications on free
>and open source platforms has made the development of robust and
>effective assistive technologies difficult, at best. Without
>consensus among stakeholders, and without standards and binary
>interface components:
>
>     *    Users with various disabilities can not effectively use
>          these systems--or major portions of these systems.
>
>     *    Systems do not meet legal requirements for
>          accessibility (which hampers marketing of free
>          standards based systems).
>
>     *    Developers cannot consistently write accessible
>          applications.
>
>     *    Comprehensive and consistent platform services that
>          support accessibility do not exist.
>
>     *    Assistive technology developers cannot create assistive
>          technologies for free standards platforms.
>
>     *    The lack of standardization prevents leveraging
>          existing work, sharing of expertise, and reduces the
>          value of individual contributions.
>
>The beneficiaries of the accessibility standardization activity
>which will be accelerated by this meeting are numerous, cutting
>across all sectors engaged with either providing or using
>technology and include:

Let's promote end-users of accessible software and
researchers/developers of products for persons with disabilities to the
top of the list below.