[Accessibility] Accessibility Working Group Meeting Aug 11, 2004

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Aug 11 11:47:30 PDT 2004

Accessibility Working Group Meeting Aug 11, 2004

John Goldthwaite
Bill Haneman
Randy Horwitz
Earl Johnson
Peter Korn
George Kraft
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Allen Wilson

Minutes from Aug 4 were approved as posted.

NSF sent a letter in a Microsoft Word file.  Janina expected that Jenny
would help handle it but it appears that she may be leaving FSB this week.
John will assist in responding to the letter.    Janina will share the
content of the group if it is substantive.  We should be on our time line
for holding the meeting in January.

There were discussions on the Blinux list about device driver licenses for
brltty and
   It would be good to follow this.  Libbrl release from
Sebastian in France.  Mario said the libraries for brltty and its API are
now GPL.  But this seems to be news to everyone.
Bill- Sebastian said he would do this at Software libre.  I’ll check with
Mario and thank him if this is the case and let everyone know.

Earl- status on XKB:  we started out evaluating UI’s that provide AccessX
type of features as well as what types of audible and visual signals are
provided.  We put that into a table.  In the workgroup, we’ve been going
through the features and supporting features clarifying what was in the
spreadsheet.  We used this to create a functional specification.  We noted
which items can not be done with XKB as it is currently and identifying
features that aren’t in XKB that are needed in AccessX.  We’ve completed the
feature walkthrough.  In the area’s where they have value ranges (such as
repeat rate)  we’ve set the ranges.

Bill- this has been a sanity check and a look at the user perspective.  We’
ll now look at the known uses of XKB by assistive technology and we see what
’s important for our current accessibility stack.
Earl - like how GOK uses XKB.
Bill- Combining the end user keyboard features with the features needed by
AT will give us the functional requirements.  Then we can work on the test
specifications.

Earl- we’ve been lucky to have Mark Novak on the calls.  He was one of the
original designers of AccessX.
Janina- any questions?, Gunnar, any questions from a KDE standpoint?
Gunnar- I’ve monitored the XKB list and from what I’ve seen, there is
nothing that is a problem.
Janina- thank you, it looks like XKB has been making a lot of progress.
Thanks, Earl and company.

Janina- other topics?
We have the KDE meeting the week of the 23rd.  Three of the group will be at
the KDE meeting in Ludwigsburg.   Janina is leaving next Thursday, returning
the following Thursday.  Thanks to Peter for arranging the teleconference
number.

Unless something comes up in the NSF letter, we not have meetings on Aug. 18
and 25 due to the KDE conference. Our next meeting is . September 1st, 18:00
UTC

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org