[Accessibility] draft minutes for Accessibility meeting 12/08/04

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Dec 8 12:27:04 PST 2004

Accessibility meeting 12/08/04

Harald Fernengel
Sandy Gabrielli
John Goldthwaite
Bill Haneman
Earl Johnson
George Kraft
Janina Sajka
Gunnar Schmidt
Deedra Waters
Matthew Wilcox

Minutes:  12/01 spell Guadic correctly - minutes approved with that
correction.
Action items:
IP question with U. Wisconsin, scheduled call with Dr. Vanderheiden this
afternoon.
Much going on with the conference,
Janina is installing Flu-motion server, will take another week to test

Janina- agenda group met and worked with Bill’s suggested schedule.  We want
to look at the agenda for conflicts for people and teleconference sessions.
Sandy sent a to do list.  Earl suggested that we go through and assign
owners.  Some items may not be needed for example, should not need Braille
versions of all position papers.  Attendees will probably prefer electronic
version.  Proofing Braille is a pretty big job.

Sandy- Sandy and Janina have made plans for food and transportation.  Papers
need to be done early so we can post them on the website.  Check the to do
items and see if you agree with them all.  We have local volunteers for many
of the to do items.
Janina- [drop off]
Sandy- my daughter is due to have a baby on January 14th so I may not be at
part of the meeting.
Janina- financial items, we will be working on getting the funds from NSF.
We can make the request on line so there shouldn’t be a delay.  They have
asked that we not get the funds until we need to be disbursing them but we
do have some things we need to pay.   Financial committee- Janina, John G.
and Janet at FSG.  We will bring major financial decisions back to the full
group.  If we have any decisions on who to provide travel for, will come
back to the group.  At present, it doesn’t look like we will have any
problems.  Lets go through the list of secondary attendees.  –assigned most
of list to Janina

Lets look at the agenda and see where we might have time conflicts for key
people.
Sandy-  disregard the note at the top about shifting things forward a half
hour.
Janina- that is due to staffing issues at the site.

Bill- On I/O, I don’t understand the inclusion of Gnopericus under I/O.  I
thought I/O was going to be more specific and just about shared I/O.
Janina- I think you’re right, it should be Gnome speech and Braille.  We
will remove Gnopernicus
Sandy- I just noticed that we did not include the Tuesday.  I’ll post it
again.
Janina- the reason that there are two I/O sessions is that the Braille
people are not interested in speech and vice versa so I though the Braille
and speech people could work as separate meetings and get more done.
Bill- what is the goal the Braille group?
Janina-
Bill- Lib Braille and Braille tty are two different libraries so they would
have to work on combining them.
Janina- if the user is sitting in Gnopernicus and there is a request for the
Braille device.
Bill- that is a matter of contention for the Braille device.  That makes
more sense than combining the libraries.  If there is no intersection
between these two groups that make sense.
Janina- we shouldn’t care about what underlying library people are using.
We want to get started on this and they can think about merging libraries
later.
Bill- if we are talking about futures for Braille, I’d like to attend that
meeting.
Janina- that is one basis for identifying some of the future discussion
issues.
Bill- the futures discussion could be moved to later in the week.  The other
question, on Thursday, it looks like the output of V2 and I/O groups are
swapped..  This schedules postpones that
Janina- because I/O hasn’t really started we won’t have a lot to report
Sandy- We scheduled V2 early because some of the speakers might want to
discuss it later in the conference
Janina- also politically, I didn’t want to put V2 off until the end.
Bill- that makes sense
Janina- our V2 technical presentation may be from a remote location.  The
person may be 12 hours away in Europe so we were trying to put it early in
the day so that it is not too late for them.  I like the idea that AT-SPI is
such a big item, the focus on

Bill- are there any key players that will be teleconferencing for the
AT-SPI?
Janina- I believe all the people needed will be at the conference.

Bill- that’s a different issue from what we are doing now.
Janina- want to look at longer term
Bill -  one of the people I’d like to have involved in the AT-SPI is Havek
Pennington.
Janina- I agree, maybe you and Harrald can talk with Havek about attending.
Bill- in the second breakout on Thursday there is interfacing with audio
servers from speech. I thought that is part of the earlier speech
discussion.
Janina-  depends on how they are going to approach TT-API.  They need to
make some progress on understanding each other.  Benefit from sending up
stream to
Bill- we have a conflict because it is important that I take part in both
the magnification and the speech sessions.  There are plenty of people that
can talk about audio servers so I don’t need to be there.
Janina-  good point.  That’s what I want to get at, everyone needs to look
at what they really want to attend and make sure we don’t have conflicts.
Marc Mulcany has asked that their group begin discussions before hand.   I
sent a message to Olaf about preparation for the meeting.  Can the people
interested in tts have a couple of calls before the conference to begin?  I’
ll resend it.
Gunnar- I will check to see if he received it.
Bill- pre-meetings are a great idea.  That could reduce the need to be at as
many of the meetings.  People would have a better idea of what the others
are talking about
Janina- should we say that is something we should recommend to all the
groups?
We want them to have position papers and documents posted.  Pre-meetings
would get those going.

Janina- we need to look at the time translation for people using the
teleconference and make sure they are not too early or late.  It looks like
we are moving toward a final agenda.
Sandy- if we set up on the FSG archive site that we set up a structure that
parallels the agenda so that people can post documents.
George- I was going to make symbolic links from the agenda to the site.
Hoping people will be sending their powerpoint presentations.
Bill- this is a working group so we should be creating content rather than
reading papers.
George- I thought we would have presentations about the current state of
each item.  I don’t think everyone will have a presentation.
Sandy- should we have an outline of what is going to be accomplished in each
section.
Janina- I think that is what I’m talking about in terms of uploaded
documents.  If someone is posting an outline and other people can see it and
prepare responses.
George- will we have time for people to read position papers?
Janina- there are a couple of topics where I’d like to do that and I think
there are a couple of other people as well.
George- could you send out a list of position papers that need to schedule.
Deedra- a question- the to do says provide a list of IRC streaming clients,
I can take the IRC section.
Sandy- so we don’t need to have everything in Braille?
Janina- we should have the agenda in Braille but the content should be in
electronic form.  People should be able to Braille the items they need ahead
of time.   Do we have coverage for attendant support?   Have we surveyed for
wheelchair access? We need to have higher tables for some of the
wheelchairs.
Sandy-  Should we have information about each attendee?  Does anyone have a
Braille embosser that can make maps?   May need 8 copies of the maps.
Deedra- I’ll see if we can do that.
Janina- okay- thank you,  this was a useful session.  We’ll meet again next
week and on the 22nd.

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org