[Accessibility] Accessibility Working Group January 14, 2004 Meeting Minites

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Jan 14 12:53:59 PST 2004

Accessibility Working Group Meeting January 14, 2004

Doug Beattie
Sandy Gabrielli
John Goldthwaite
Bill Haneman
Earl Johnson
Janina Sajka
Sharon Schnider
Gunnar Schmidt
Allen Wilson

Minutes from last meeting approved as proved.
Gregg Vanderheiden found that the Univ. Wisconsin had lost the records on
this patent.  He has given them the files and they are starting to work.  It
will get done, it just may take a while.  Trace Center has joined the Free
Standards Group and will have someone joining the group.  Janina has invited
Bill LaPlante, NCITS V2 committee chair, to join the group. Bill worked on
the development of standards for the Census Bureau.  Another member from the
V2 group may join as well.

Press release and quote sheet:
We didn=92t get all the quotes we wanted.  Everything is with the PR firm b=
ut
we could try to get another in if you can keep trying.  We got a nice
statement from Terry Weaver, Director of the General Service Administration=
=92
s Center for Information Technology Accessibility.  She is the highest level
federal office who=92s job is strictly on Section 508 and IT Accessibility.
(www.section508.gov)

We intend to release on Monday.  That happens to be Martin Luther King day
and although we aren=92t going to make anything of it, it seems appropriate
since we=92re dealing with equality.  We should have the information for the
website on Friday.  Sharon will post it as soon as it is available with
visible =93Headline=94 on the homepage.

We need to discuss questions that the press might ask and have prepared
answered.  Please contribute questions to the list and develop answers in
group mode.

Please send our url( http://accessibility.freestandards.org/ ) to any lists
you feel are appropriate.

Earl Johnson distributed a list of proposed features for the user level.
He enumerated the functions provided with AccessX.  He looked at these from
a user level perspective.  Looked at CDE, motif, GNOME, Microsoft Windows
Control Panel for Accessibility.

Earl- I identified the features, how they are turned on, the settings
available.
Bill =96 we should abstract out the type of control so its not GUI specific.
Janina- that would be good for specifying the console level as well.

e.g. for Stickykey
There is a visual indicator that stickykey is one and other visual
indicators for shift keys when they are activated.  The status of the
stickykey state needs to be present.  For Windows, an icon appears in the
system tray.  It is long empty rectangle representing the shift key with 3
empty squares below it representing the control, menu, and Alt keys.  These
boxes appear filled when the corresponding key is pressed.

When you turn stickykey turns on, it give an =91rising=92 tone and a =91fal=
ling=92
tone when it turns off.  When a shift or control key is press there are
auditory cues: A high tone and a low tone are used.  The high tone indicates
that a shift/Alt/Ctrl key has been pressed, the low tone indicates that the
status of the key is shifted.  Pressing the shift key once will make the
only the next keystoke shifted.  Press the shift key twice will =91lock=92 =
that
shift key. Pressing the shift key a third time unlocks it.

Where do we go from here?  We can go through later and identify the xkb
functions used by each. \EARL

Bill- it=92s a great start.  We need to do some review and clarify a couple=
 of
things.  Lets clarify the end user a bit.  Wearing our end user hat look at
the xkb functionality.  From a reading of the AccessX there are a number of
toggles that are not exposed.

Janina:  =85 .?

Bill: we should note features that are present on one platform and not on
others.  I think CDE is =91static=92.  If there is anything that is in CDE =
that
didn=92t make it to Gnome, we should note that and ask whether they are nee=
ds,
e.g. globally turn on all AccessX features.  That seems to be in AccessX but
not in CDE.  We=92ve tried to emulate it in Gnome.  You can turn on the
keyboard features but you can=92t brute force turn off xkb once its loaded.
Earl: that was put in so that you do a dialog box =85? =85Keyboard short cu=
t=85.
Bill- user should be able to turn off a keyboard shortcuts if they are
turned on by accident.

Is xkb stable?  Could it be modified on a Linux platform
Bill- its very stable.  Its not bug free but its not under development.

Bill =96 I=92m not sure about column D for setting type.  For anything that=
=92s
not a binary toggle, we give a list of the states.  In the standard- you
supply the max and min values for things such as key repeat rate.  That
could be recommendation or normative.

There could be a set of tests for the features and check list of features
that must be provided.
The spreadsheet is the first step in developing the list.

Janina- do you for see another library is needed?
Bill- I think just xdb.
Janina- I would also like to consider the console.
Bill- those would need to be different solutions and incompatible with xkb.
You=92d have to do the console function in the kernel.  You could use virtu=
al
terminal in which your keyboard is getting the input from X rather than the
kernel.  The most console users are using a virtual terminal except during
install. Even in boot loader, as long as the device can talk over the
network or tty line.
Even for the system admin tasks, that don=92t have to do it on system conso=
le

Janina- The EITAC committee viewed it strictly physical case only.  The if
the machine can be access remotely and used, it doesn=92t matter where is
located.  The access board=92s position on this has changed some.

For a console =96 the xkb isn=92t going to work.  We=92re just looking at s=
ystems
with X running.
Janina- we need to put this out for comment and be sure there are no cases
that we are missing.
Bill-  If you have a lower level =85.
Janina =85 interference with voice synthesizer=85

Bill- Keyboard accessible conflict is a potential problem.  The voice
synthesis is a know one.
Earl-  I can take this as input.  We can have a second round with the xkb
subgroup.
Janina- Its good for the larger group to look at what it is doing; some of
the folks with a more global viewpoint may see something that we don=92t wh=
ile
we=92re dealing with detail.
Earl =96 were people able to use the Star office file?
Sandy - I wasn=92t able to open the attachment.
Bill - unless you know it=92s a Star office document and your program can r=
ead
those formats.  You should be able to set up a mime type.
Sandy- could you export it as a tab separated file?
Earl- can do html, comma separated, =85   I=92ll send it as comma separated=
 and
as Star Office.
Doug-
Janina- I think the detailed discussion can move to the xkb list.
Doug =96 the list is Accessibility-kbd at a11y.org  not Accessibility-xkb

Janina- Good, it looks like the kdb group is getting ahead of the others. Do
you think we can afford skip next week.  No objection to skipping week, next
meeting Jan. 28

Bill- Earl thanks a lot for this.  Please give us feed back on the format.

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org