[Accessibility] Printing and accessibility

Mark Hamzy hamzy at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 22 11:17:41 PST 2004

Hello,

Someone noticed that there was no participation between the open printing
standards group and the accessibility group.

The open printing group was founded to improve and standardize printing
under Linux.  Currently, there are five groups that are active within open
printing:
      job ticket group that describes all of a print job's options to
control output and provides accounting information
      printer driver API group that describes how applications and
operating systems talk to a printer driver
      spooler group that describes how a print job is spooled
      vector language group that describes how high level drawing is sent
to a printer driver
      bi-directional communications group that describes how printer status
information is received from a printer

Currently, I see two areas of concern.  The first is command line options
for the standards.  The second is dialogs that the standards will use.

We hold weekly architecture calls on Thursdays.  We are working on use case
scenarios for printing under Linux.  This would be a good time to define
some use case scenarios that involve accessibility.

I know this is too little of a warning for today's meeting, but feel free
to join any meeting or just send notes our mailing list
printing-architecture at freestandards.org .

GMT 20:00-22:00
EDT 15:00-17:00
CDT 14:00-16:00
MDT 13:00-15:00
PDT 12:00-14:00

Toll Free:  1-888-687-2858 (use this first if possible)
Toll:       1-719-457-3541
Passcode:           726694

Mark

Take a look at the Linux Omni Printer Driver Framework at
http://www.ibm.com/linux/ltc/projects/omni/