[Accessibility] Possible Tech Act Language

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jun 17 14:03:51 PDT 2004

The following language has been negotiated by AFB with staff in Congress working on reauthorization of the Assistive Technology Act. While I doubt we can do much better, I did want to ask you to provide reactions. Do we think we can write proposals to such language that would be competitive? Do we think it covers everything that should be covered? All advice much appreciated. I'll advise when this is actually introduced as legislation:

(C) PRIORITY ACTIVITIES- In awarding such grants, the Secretary shall
give priority to funding projects that address 1 or more of the
following:

(i) Developing standards for reliability and accessibility of assistive
technology, and interoperability of assistive technology with
information technology,
telecommunications products, and other assistive technology.

(ii) Developing and implementing measurements, tools and testing
protocols that evaluate assistive technology for conformance with
reliability, accessibility
and interoperability standards developed under (i),

(iii) Developing and implementing measurements, tools and testing
protocols that evaluate assistive technology for usability by
individuals with disabilities
to meet functional needs, or

(iv) Developing and implementing measurements, tools and testing
protocols that evaluate assistive technology for other features that
support increased
functional performance of assistive technology

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

		Chair, Accessibility Workgroup