[Accessibility] Sip & Puff software

Matthew Wilcox willy at fc.hp.com
Wed Mar 3 11:29:44 PST 2004

----- Forwarded message from Rod Pike <r.pike at gmx.net> -----

From: "Rod Pike" <r.pike at gmx.net>
To: <willy at debian.org>
Cc: <Thomas.Sienkiewicz at rogers.com>
Subject: OCLUG IRC Chat followup concerning Open Source Weekend

Hi Willy,

Here's a little background on the open source development I'm involved in.
I do volunteer work for the March of Dimes.

http://www.dimes.on.ca/programs/access_designability.asp?sect=access

Last year a request was made from a person with muscular distrophy to help
with her computer system at home.  She has full use of her head and neck
muscles but very little else.  She has an existing Windows 98 based computer
with some very expensive hardware for tracking head movement to move a mouse
and associated software.  She cannot use a keyboard.  She uses a breath
switch (commonly called sipp & puff) to create morse code that is fed into
the computer through another bit of hardware.  This hardware called Adapt2u
is fairly old, consists of several boxed including a vt100 type terminal and
is no longer available, as far as I have been able to determine.  She can
access her computer from her wheelchair but was looking for some way of
accessing a computer from her bed.

She had tried different systems in the past but had mixed success.  She had
an old laptop that she had never been able to use.  I immediatly thought
that *nix with it's heritage in text based applications might give some
additional benefit and even allow her to use a computer while she is out of
her home.  This would be very useful for her as she is working towards
completing a university degree.

I looked around the internet and came across the following open source
project.

http://www.morseall.org/

It didn't quite meet her needs but I hoped that if I could collaborate with
the developer, I would be able to get something working for her.  I've got a
hardware background and am a licensed amateur radio operator.  Pehr
Anderson, the developer originally created the software for a stroke victim
who could only tap the morse code with his finger and a single switch.  My
client uses what is called keyer and two switches.  Using a microcontroller
I implemented an interface that my user could plug into her breath switch
and use MorseAll.  Eventually the microcontroller function should be
implemented in software but for now we have a working system.

I was thinking that this project would be of interest at the Open Source
Weekend.  I'd be willing to put together a presentation and have a
demonstration available.  I will need to check with March of Dimes but I'm
sure there won't be a problem.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Check out the attached email.  Check out the attached mp3.  It's amazing!

Cheers,
Rod Pike
computer.