[Accessibility] Draft meeting notes for 3-24-04

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 25 04:40:36 PST 2004

John Goldthwaite wrote:

>Accessibility Working Group Meeting March 24, 2004
>
>Doug Beattie
>John Goldthwaite
>Bill Haneman
>Earl Johnson
>Janina Sajka
>Gunnar Schmidt
>Sharon Snider
>Kris Van Hees
>Allen Wilson
>
>Minutes for March 3 and March 10 approved.
>Review of CSUN-
>Meeting on the keyboard interface at CSUN with Earl Johnson and Alan Cantor.
>Alan discussed Window manager navigation, application navigation, and ?
>navigation.  How programmers can make sense of the various ways to doing
>things.  Alan was proposing a way of pulling things together that makes
>sense for application developers, toolkit developers…
>Bill- those sort of issues are worth talking to the accessibility managers
>at Free Desktop and Gnome.  You won’t be able to do anything unless they go
>along.

I didn't say "accessibility managers", I said "usability and HCI leaders".
The a11y folks don't have much leverage in this area, as it's "owned"
by usability/UI/HCI from the perspective of most of the communities.

One thing worth capturing is that there seemed to be consensus that this
area is out of scope for our group at this time.

>Janina- I suggested that he look at emacs – that it has all the features he’
>s looking for.
>Allen-  is presentation available?
>Janina- He thought there was some intellectual property there but he’s
>willing to talk more about it.  Alan has done a lot of work on accessibility
>and in training for rehab. Professionals.  I didn’t see any next steps for
>us.  Peter and I did the presentation.  Randy also attended.  We got a good
>turn out – about 40 people;  a fairly informed group who understood what we’
>re doing.  A couple of  IBMers- Cynthia Eis were there.
>CSUN was interesting as usual.  Previews of the MacIntosh approach to
>accessibility which looked a lot like the Gnome approach.  Meet with Mary
>Beth Janes and agreed that they would think about joining our group.
>Allen- the Mac didn’t have keyboard navigation build in.
>Janina- they were calling it a spoken interface not a screenreader.
>Allen- U-follower – follow the focus – no keyboard navigation built into the
>toolkit.
>Janina- it appears to be built into Coca – if the developers use Coca they
>get accessibility.  There were a number of new devices- a new Linux based
>cell phone from Spain.  More managers were there such as Mary Beth’s manager
>from Apple.
>Earl- Adobe is starting an effort for standardizing PDF.  They are talking
>about making PDF open source.

I'd love to know what this means ("open source") since it doesn't
necessarily mean "meets FSG licensing requirements".

>Janina- there are several versions of that article out, one has a lot about
>accessibility, the others don’t.
>Earl- a growing number of larger companies are taking CSUN as an important
>show.  Janina- Somewhere to validate what they are doing with consumers.  On
>our proposal- we have a checklist from NSF – some things need more
>specificity.  They want more details on how we will be spending the funds
>and about what industry will be funding.  There is a check list in the
>attachment to the meeting announcement.  Is this something we can split up
>and complete?  The important thing is the financial information.  Can
>Jeannie work on this?
>Doug- I’m not sure about Jeannie’s time right now, it would be better if the
>group could handle it.
>Allen- what sort of break up?  What’s wrong with the current proposal, does
>it need to be re-written?
>Janina- no, but we need to be sure that it follows this outline.  They are
>used to looking at this format so we need to be sure they can find the
>information quickly.  We need a plan for recruiting participants from under
>served communities.
>John – I can help with the recruiting plan.  We need to an idea of who will
>have funding and who doesn’t.
>
>Janina- its hard to pick a date, NSF seems to take several months to make a
>decision.  They said 6 months but may take longer.  Earl do you fly?
>Earl- I could.  I’m willing to work with you to get the proposal into their
>format.  We need to set a deadline to get that done.
>Janina- I’d like to get most of it done to share with the group next week so
>we can turn it in to NSF in early April.
>Bill- it asks about recent meetings on the topic, should we count these
>audioconferences? Janina- I think so but its clear we need a face to face.
>We need some time to get into the detail like we did with the AT-SPI.
>Earl- what do we want to use as the date and the location.  Should we take
>that off line?
>Janina- I think we should use their 6 month time so that we’d give us
>October – December time frame.  We have the choice of Hawaii, Almaden and
>Atlanta for locations.
>Earl- method of announcement?
>Janina- we want to determine among ourselves who we want to be there and
>proactively fill those slots.  We need Bill and Gunnar for Gnome and KDE.
>If we want to handle magnification we’ll need to reach out to someone in
>rasterizing.
>Bill- some of the people that are influential in Gnome are going to drop xkb

Not quite what I said - for the purposes of minutes, let's say
"influential folks in the desktop X community seemed inclined to drop
Xkb; missing from recent X server developments. We need to make sure
that we explain why XKB is important to us"

>Janina- that’s why Honolulu may be a better draw so we can get those folks
>to attend and hear why xkb is important.  There also some things that we
>didn’t budget – transcription
>John- we may need captioning for hearing impaired attendees.  We would get a
>transcrition as a byproduct.  We should budget for it just in case someone
>needs it.
>Janina- Honolulu could be fairly affordable according to Neal’s folks.
>Would the distance be bad for people from Europe?  It’s a bad time shift for
>them.
>Bill- where Europe is concerned we should look at who we should target.  It’
>s a small list.
>Janina- I think they would come.
>Earl – how many would be attending
>Janina- at least 20.  We say 20 to 30 in the proposal.
>Bill- what do you think I can help with on the proposal?
>Janina- thanks Bill, the main thing is whether Sun will send you to the
>conference.  If you would make sure the discussion of the technical content
>of the conference is correct.  Earl and I can start the proposal and we can
>do; then get a draft to you.
>Earl- are you looking for an idea of whose companies will be able to send
>employees?
>Janina- yes,
>Earl- how many days are we talking about?
>Janina- We said 3 days earlier. We want to have time to flesh out the
>roadmap.  We ran out of time doing the charter so we should revisit the
>roadmap to make sure there aren’t other things we need to add to it.  We
>want to look at magnification, how do we handle it.  We need to look at
>technical matters but also how to engage the X community.
>Bill- we’ll be transitioning from a point where we don’t have any sample
>application.

.."to a point where we have useful implementations of some key
dependencies for magnification"

>We should be able to select from some existing products by
>then.

Not sure I like the word "products" here - let's say "We should have at
least one candidate implementation of some key magnification features then".