[Accessibility] A11y Teleconference: Wednesday 31 March

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Mar 31 11:25:46 PST 2004

>* __    Summary of one page or less indicating the objectives of the
>project;

The Accessibility Workgroup of the Free Standards Group (FSG) wishes to convene a face-to-face meeting of invited experts in 2004/early 2005.  We request funding of $35,900 from the National Science Foundation (NSF) in support of this meeting, whose purpose is the adoption and development of standards and a corresponding engineering agenda for the support of comprehensive access to information and user interfaces by persons with disabilities.  More specifically, we target computing platforms which adopt free and open standards, such as Linux, BSD, AIX, MacOSX, Solaris.

> A face to face conference is the
>appropriate mechanism to:
>
>	Engage the additional stakeholder participation needed in the
>process already begun by the FSG
>
>	Reach consensus on a Road Map for creating a common layer of
>accessibility support that can be deployed and maintained on multiple
>platforms
>
>	Reach consensus on a common support layer that can promote
>future collaborative research to provide multiple, interoperable,
>heterogenous and accessible products.

how about "provide for comprehensive accessibility of multiple,
interoperable, and heterogeneous products"

(more to follow, I'm sure)

Bill