[Accessibility] NSF Proposal--Current Draft

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Wed May 5 11:58:27 PDT 2004

Hey Janina,

I understand why you removed my text on Gnopernicus - the benefits I note may
not be things experiences by existing Gnopernicus users.  However, I'm
concerned about leaving off all mention of it entirely.  The document notes:

> There are already several innovative assistive technologies that are taking advantage of components of this emerging standard which are already
> available. These serve to illustrate the benefits which can reasonably be expected to acrue from an international conference addressing accessibility on
> open platforms:
>
> GOK, the dynamic GNOME On-Screen Keyboard uses
>  AT-SPI and XKB functionality to provide a set of access features
> that go far beyond any other on-screen keyboard for any other computer platform available today (at any price),
> Already included as a standard component in the GNOME desktop environment, GOK is providing users of single switch
> and head-mouse
> interface devices dramatically quicker performance (easily 5 times faster control of dialog boxes, web browsing, text
> editing, and numerous other tasks).
>
> Dasher is an innovative and cross platform text entry application optimized for eye-gaze and head tracker systems from the University of Cambridge. Now
> also shipping with the GNOME 2.6 desktop (and therefore with distributions that include GNOME 2.6) tthe most recent releases of Dasher utilize AT-SPI to
> provide control of the desktop for these users "out of the box." It is noteworthy that Dasher is a product of University research. It serves as an
> excellent example of technology transfer made possible in great part by the use of open standards and open source technologies.

I think we should add something like this about Gnopernicus:

Gnopernicus is a screen reader/magnifier with Braille support in development
for users with visual impairments that is part of the GNOME 2.6 desktop.
Gnopernicus utilizes the AT-SPI functionality exclusively for obtaining all of
the information required for screen reading and magnification, and therefore
doesn't need to build and maintain and Off-Screen-Model or otherwise patch the
video drivers or operating system.

In this way we note that it exists (important) and that it uses AT-SPI
(important), but make no comment about quality or functionality.  In fact,
this draft paragraph notes that this technology is in development (implying
that it isn't done yet).

Peter