[Accessibility] draft minutes May 5, 2004

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed May 5 12:23:51 PDT 2004

Accessibility Working Group Meeting May 5, 2004

Doug Beattie
Harald Fernengel
Sandy Gabrielli
Bill Haneman
Randy Horwitz
Earl Johnson
Peter Korn
Bill LaPlant
Janina Sajka
Sharon Snider
Kris Van Hees
Deedra Waters
Matthew Wilcox
Allen Wilson

Minutes from 4/21 were posted.  Approved as posted.  Randy did the minutes
last week and those are posted.  Approved as edited.  Deedra Waters is
joining the group. Deedra is on the board of trustees for Jen2 and
responsible for accessibility and developer relations.  Jen2 is working on
getting accessibility organized.  Getting brltty installed for the next
released. Working on getting testers for it since she doesn’t have a Braille
display.  She lives in Florida but is moving to Oregon State to go to school
in September.   Deedra is visually impaired.

Bill Laplant has joined the group this week.  Bill is chair of the NCITS V2
access technical committee.  V2 is developing a universal access bus for
computers to talked to other devices.  Bill just retired from the Census
bureau and conducted IT research.  He worked on accessibility for the IT
process for the decennial census so that disable workers could be employed.

Bill Haneman- Gnome Accessibility project, works for SUN
Gunnar Schmidt – member of KDE accessibility project
Harald- Trolltech – accessibility for Trolltech and KDE
John Goldthwaite- works for CATEA at Georgia Tech on several rehabilitation
research projects – Wireless RERC and Workplace RERC
Janina- director of technology research at American Foundation for the
Blind.
Kris Van Hees- doctoral research on non-visual interfaces, who to interpret
3D information
Matthew- works for HP, W developer
Sharon – works in Linus Technology Center at IBM testing accessibility
Allen- works with IBM accessibility center supporting Linux and other
products
Doug- works on a number of projects for the Free Standards Board,
coordinates our project
Earl- Works for SUN Microsystems in the accessibility programs office, works
with product groups on accessibility issues.
Peter – second oldest member on Sun’s Accessibility group – on many projects
Sandy Gabrielli works at Archimedes project on developing accessible
interfaces.

No news on the Licensing from Wisconsin.  No news on a new phone number.
Janina has a call in for another source.  Bill may have some information by
next week.

The draft of the NSF proposal that went out a couple of days ago is pretty
complete.  Are there any other comments?   Peter submitted some comments on
the list.  Bill Laplant and Sandy Gabrielli did not get copies of the NSF
proposal.  Janina will send it.
Bill- I sent a couple of paragraphs to the list.
Janina- I added those but I did a lot of wordsmithing so it may not be easy
to recognize.  I deleted the Gnopernicus sections which might be
controversial.  The examples went one section down.  GAWK and Dasher went
into background.  It seemed to be more useful to leave it out.  There is
enough substance and other examples.  The suggestion to add Bill as a member
of the Gnome Foundation Board was well taken and will be included.

The one thing that struck me this morning, we say but don’t develop the idea
that we need to bring people who don’t have independent support.  Its not
clear if we can buy meals unless it is a working meeting.  When we go into
the budget we need to go into how many people need support.

Bill Laplant- there are a couple of different pots of money within NSF.
They have a support fund for people with disabilities which is independent
of regular research functions.  The would be
Randy – would it matter if it was a person with a disability worked for a
company?
Bill- We will have to find out.
John- these are funds NSF has provide accommodations for researchers who
have regular NSF projects.  If you have an NSF grant you can request funds
to make research instruments accessible.
Bill- yes, if we get the travel grant we can ask for more funds for access.
Janina – Bill can you help me with the budget this week?
Sandy – would  you include me in the budget effort?
Janina- I have been looking at airline sites and there are no discount
tickets for beyond December.  I’m using $650 – 700 which is the regular
rate.  I’m using $120 for the hotel.  Sandy, if there is an office from the
U. Hawaii that organizes conference, could they get us some cost
information?

Randy- I looked into IBM travel. It is IBM policy to pay for people’s travel
if they are traveling on company business.
Janina- excellent.  I’d recommend that we lock in a block of rooms during
the week of January 24.  We can free it up if we find other arrangements
later.  There are dates in the proposal that say the week of January 24.  I
have resent a current copy of proposal to everyone.

Janina- as I read the NSF guideline, we are supported to budget the entire
cost of the meeting and explain which cost NSF would be funding.  We need to
make an estimate for people of how many will be funded by their company or
university.
Sandy- should we get everyone to send a note on whether they will have
funding.
Janina- yes, please send those to me at my email address rather than the
list.  The proposal seems finished.  If anyone has any more comments on it,
please send them.  Anything else on NSF?
John- do you have to use the Fastlane website to submit the proposal?
Janina- my assistant is checking on the details of submission.  I’ll be in
meetings for the next two weeks.  Will be at Georgia
Mario will not be leading the shared I/O group; he’s finding he doesn’t have
the time at present but will continue to monitor the list.  He’s concerned
about problems with licensing and moving those forward.  Hopefully, Willy
will be able to pick up the Shared I/O group.

Bill- we might be able to get things done by having breakout groups in the
same time slot.
Janina- that might be a very good idea.  You could work on your groups in
the next two week.
Bill- the only problem is that some of us are in two groups.  Not that they
group couldn’t get something done without me.
Janina- that sounds an appropriate use of the time slot.
Earl- schedule one for next week and the other the next?
Bill- Earl are you available next week, I’d like to work on keyboard?
Earl- I’d prefer the week after to
Janina- next week is AT-SPI and two weeks is xkb then the whole group will
get together in 3 weeks.  We have three or four new people who are not
familiar with what we’ve been doing.  The best way to come up to speed- how
about a couple of sentences about each project.
Standards method- published specification, methods of testing so you can
certified that you meet the specification.  Three first year projects
Doug- also comply with the GPL licensing.
Bill Laplant- one of the reasons you go through the formal standards
procedure is that it gives you immunity for antitrust.
Janina- Shared i/o – trying to resolve any conflicts between devices and
allow them to be shared. –
Bill- AT-SPI defines a set of client API’s that allow assistive technology
to run and that AT has the interface it needs with the desktop and
application.
Assistive Technology – Service Provider Interface
Peter- you have a heterogeneous environment on your desktop written with
various tool kits or running in a JAVA VM.  When you are running on a
desktop, you want to have your AT reaching in and interoperating with these
applications.  We provide a uniform interface for applications and AT to
standardize on.
Bill LaPlant- you do an n way interface rather than x
Peter- we envision new GUI toolkits implementing accessibility internally
but bridging to AT-SPI for interface.  In particular, a V2 player when
running on the desktop, then it could either be implemented using Java Swing
library, GTK library, or using its own and bridging to AT-SPI.
Janina- I hope that’s not too many bridges

Earl- the keyboard accessibility work defines the features at the user and
keyboard for the set of keyboard enhancements- sticky keys, mousekeys,

What programmatic features need to exposed in xkb for these to be available
to the user.

Janina - We are looking at what we can achieve with standards and what we
cannot.  There will certainly be things for which there are guidelines and
not standards.  These will be the best practices that make this work.  If
you look at the charter documents on the website you’ll see more detail.
The next two weeks will have breakout, everyone will be back in three weeks.

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org