[Accessibility] draft minutes May 5, 2004

Bill LaPlant blaplant at mindspring.com
Wed May 5 13:53:43 PDT 2004

John -- A few slight changes.   Bill

John Goldthwaite wrote:

>Accessibility Working Group Meeting May 5, 2004
>
>Doug Beattie
>Harald Fernengel
>Sandy Gabrielli
>Bill Haneman
>Randy Horwitz
>Earl Johnson
>Peter Korn
>Bill LaPlant
>Janina Sajka
>Sharon Snider
>Kris Van Hees
>Deedra Waters
>Matthew Wilcox
>Allen Wilson

Bill LaPlant has joined the group this week. Bill  L is chair of the
INCITS V2 IT Access Interfaces technical committee. V2 is developing a
universal access bus for computers to talked to other devices. Bill L
just retired from the Census
Bureau and conducted IT research. He worked on accessibility for the IT
process for the decennial census so that workers on disability could be
re-employed.

The draft of the NSF proposal that went out a couple of days ago is pretty
complete.  Are there any other comments?   Peter submitted some comments on
the list.  Bill LaPlant and Sandy Gabrielli did not get copies of the NSF
proposal.  Janina will send it.
Bill H- I sent a couple of paragraphs to the list.
Janina- I added those but I did a lot of wordsmithing so it may not be easy
to recognize.  I deleted the Gnopernicus sections which might be
controversial.  The examples went one section down.  GAWK and Dasher went
into background.  It seemed to be more useful to leave it out.  There is
enough substance and other examples.  The suggestion to add Bill as a member
of the Gnome Foundation Board was well taken and will be included.

The one thing that struck me this morning, we say but don't develop the idea
that we need to bring people who don't have independent support.  Its not
clear if we can buy meals unless it is a working meeting.  When we go into
the budget we need to go into how many people need support.

Bill L- there are a couple of different pots of money within NSF.
They have a support fund for people with disabilities which is independent
of regular research functions.  The would be
Randy - would it matter if it was a person with a disability worked for a
company?
Bill L- We will have to find out.
John- these are funds NSF has provide accommodations for researchers who
have regular NSF projects.  If you have an NSF grant you can request funds
to make research instruments accessible.
Bill L- yes, if we get the travel grant we can ask for more funds for accommodations.
Janina - Bill can you help me with the budget this week?
Sandy - would  you include me in the budget effort?
Janina- I have been looking at airline sites and there are no discount
tickets for beyond December.  I'm using $650 - 700 which is the regular
rate.  I'm using $120 for the hotel.  Sandy, if there is an office from the
U. Hawaii that organizes conference, could they get us some cost
information?

Randy- I looked into IBM travel. It is IBM policy to pay for people's travel
if they are traveling on company business.
Janina- excellent.  I'd recommend that we lock in a block of rooms during
the week of January 24.  We can free it up if we find other arrangements
later.  There are dates in the proposal that say the week of January 24.  I
have resent a current copy of proposal to everyone.

Janina- as I read the NSF guideline, we are supported to budget the entire
cost of the meeting and explain which cost NSF would be funding.  We need to
make an estimate for people of how many will be funded by their company or
university.
Sandy- should we get everyone to send a note on whether they will have
funding.
Janina- yes, please send those to me at my email address rather than the
list.  The proposal seems finished.  If anyone has any more comments on it,
please send them.  Anything else on NSF?
John- do you have to use the Fastlane website to submit the proposal?
Janina- my assistant is checking on the details of submission.  I'll be in
meetings for the next two weeks.  Will be at Georgia
Mario will not be leading the shared I/O group; he's finding he doesn't have
the time at present but will continue to monitor the list.  He's concerned
about problems with licensing and moving those forward.  Hopefully, Willy
will be able to pick up the Shared I/O group.

Bill H- we might be able to get things done by having breakout groups in the
same time slot.
Janina- that might be a very good idea.  You could work on your groups in
the next two week.
Bill H- the only problem is that some of us are in two groups.  Not that they
group couldn't get something done without me.
Janina- that sounds an appropriate use of the time slot.
Earl- schedule one for next week and the other the next?
Bill H- Earl are you available next week, I'd like to work on keyboard?
Earl- I'd prefer the week after to
Janina- next week is AT-SPI and two weeks is xkb then the whole group will
get together in 3 weeks.  We have three or four new people who are not
familiar with what we've been doing.  The best way to come up to speed- how
about a couple of sentences about each project.
Standards method- published specification, methods of testing so you can
certified that you meet the specification.  Three first year projects
Doug- also comply with the GPL licensing.
Bill L- one of the reasons you go through the formal standards
procedure is that it gives you some immunity from antitrust liability.
Janina- Shared i/o - trying to resolve any conflicts between devices and
allow them to be shared. -
Bill H- AT-SPI defines a set of client API's that allow assistive technology
to run and that AT has the interface it needs with the desktop and
application.
Assistive Technology - Service Provider Interface
Peter- you have a heterogeneous environment on your desktop written with
various tool kits or running in a JAVA VM.  When you are running on a
desktop, you want to have your AT reaching in and interoperating with these
applications.  We provide a uniform interface for applications and AT to
standardize on.
Bill L- you do an n way interfaces rather than x by y way interfaces
Peter- we envision new GUI toolkits implementing accessibility internally
but bridging to AT-SPI for interface.  In particular, a V2 player when
running on the desktop, then it could either be implemented using Java Swing
library, GTK library, or using its own and bridging to AT-SPI.
Janina- I hope that's not too many bridges...

Earl- the keyboard accessibility work defines the features at the user and
keyboard for the set of keyboard enhancements- sticky keys, mousekeys, ...
What programmatic features need to exposed in xkb for these to be available
to the user.

Janina - We are looking at what we can achieve with standards and what we
cannot.  There will certainly be things for which there are guidelines and
not standards.  These will be the best practices that make this work.  If
you look at the charter documents on the website you'll see more detail.
The next two weeks will have breakout, everyone will be back in three weeks.

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org

William P. LaPlant, Jr.             4312 Birchlake Ct; Alexandria, VA 22309
Accessibility Engineer                                  phone: 703-360-9184
--                    mailto:blaplant at computer.org                       --
I am committed to Children inheriting a culture of unlimited possibilities;
Technology empowering miraculous lives.